
What thoughts I have of you tonight, Walt Whitman, for I walked
down the sidestreets under the trees with a headache self-conscious looking
at the full moon.
In my hungry fatigue, and shopping for images, I went into the neon
fruit supermarket, dreaming of your enumerations!
What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at
night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!
--and you, GarcĂa Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?
I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking
among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys.
I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops?
What price bananas? Are you my Angel?
I wandered in and out of the brilliant stacks of cans following you,
and followed in my imagination by the store detective.
We strode down the open corridors together in our solitary fancy
tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen delicacy, and never passing the
cashier.
Where are we going, Walt Whitman? The doors close in a hour.
Which way does your beard point tonight?
(I touch your book and dream of our odyssey in the supermarket and
feel absurd.)
Will we walk all night through solitary streets? The trees add shade
to shade, lights out in the houses, we'll both be lonely.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love past blue automo-
biles in driveways, home to our silent cottage?
Ah, dear father, graybeard, lonely old courage-teacher, what America
did you have when Charon quit poling his ferry and you got out on a
smoking bank and stood watching the boat disappear on the black waters of
Lethe?
--Berkeley, 1955
Allen Ginsberg
CURRENTLY my america is driving down the highway, flicking off fellow road ragers, smelling hot sun rising from my leather seats and smoking a rapidly smoldering cigarette while chewing watermelon bubble gum.
coming home to a news channel droning on about places i haven't been and events i can not understand.
and you?
3 comments:
o boo......... how i love my alan ginsberg....... and how i love my wonderful robin!!!!! cannot wait for la tomorrow!!!! sweet dreams
That photograph of a taxi by a red light reminds me of a very particular event in my past.
Robin, Why are you so delightful? There are many delightful woman in the world, but where shall I again find one like you who can transform the mundane into a reminder of one of the fondest memories of my life by simply taking a photograph of a red light and attaching it to a poem?
lynnie and omar - two of my most insane and beautiful friends - love you and will see you BOTH in the next couple days!
omar - t&ds? time to pitch a serious bizplan. let's get Hugo to invest - POOF!
Post a Comment