Saturday, March 29, 2008

29: being a kid

today i rode a beach cruiser while listening to California Girls by the beach boys. i am pleasantly regressing to age 10, when life was easy and music was on tape. 

<3>

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ahh, the greatness of the Beach Boys. If you don't love them for their music, you can't help but love them for the happy and gleeful feelings they evoke in your heart. Hearing their music always takes me to a place of sunshine and smiles ( :

Anonymous said...

Oh to be 10 again. If only.... Gotta love the Beach Boys. Sounds like a good day.

OmarSal said...

The Beach Boys remind me of the TV show "Full House" and Maryland winters. I know, I'm special.

Since you're entry compels one do reminisce, I will share an interesting memory:

When I was ten my father finally bought me the go-kart that I had been desiring for nearly a year. Every day, I would spend hours incessantly driving around the neighborhood.

A month later, a kid named Jamie Clark succeeded in getting his father to buy him a go-kart. I would often be "on the road" (like the badass I though I was with my gas guzzling, steel go-kart) when Jamie would show up, and a a race would ensue--sometimes lasting for hours until one of us ran out of gas.

One day, in the spirit of competition we complicated the race by finishing one of the "laps" by driving around an oval road that encircled the neighborhood's guard house. We both drove around the loop in opposite directions; thus, there was a stretch in the lap where both of us would pass each other, head on. It's difficult to explain, but just know that we concluded each lap with a game of chicken. Disaster! After hours of doing this, Jamie got confused during one of the "chicken" stretches. I stayed to my right, but instead of Jamie staying to his right, he veered left, causing me to veer left in order to avoid an impact. He then veered right, right into my rear axle. His go-kart was damaged far worse than mine, and in addition, Jamie complained of chest pains. I remember pushing my go-kart back to my house as quickly as possible--as if escaping his petulant whining would avoid me getting into trouble. In the end, no one was seriously hurt, and I did not get in trouble. In fact, when I went to his house to explain the situation to his father, Jamie invited me in and we became friends.

Two years later, Jamie developed a strange attraction to me and used to tell me he loved me. That ended our friendship very quickly, and I never spoke to him again.

But, while I was ten, my go-kart years were one of my favorite.

robin ann mcintosh said...

ahahaha yeah so you say! remember at michigan i used to try and convince you of your latent gayness?? you proved THAT theory very wrong. another memory: you asking Jawuan about... you know what! haha, taking it one step too far.

call me later!

OmarSal said...

No, I don't remember any of that. But, you've said a lot of things in the past.

Cassandra J said...

Dad still tells the story: a blonde ringletted mini robs in the backseat announces that McDonalds happy meal+dad+beach= heaven. then so tired from waterskiing at Papa's all day that she falls asleep w/ one fry dangling. haha. love it

Cassandra J said...

*beach boys...and oms the iphone is the best. thats why we have such great galleries of iphone photography

 
Hit CountersHit Counters