As the daughter of an alchoholic who won't get treatment, I understand the huge impact this disease has on the person and everyone around them. You should be proud of yourself for getting the help you need, and for trying to help other people in the same position. Thanks for writing about this with such honesty. Takes a brave person!
I am so sorry for your loss and pain during this time. Addiction of any kind is hard to kick and I'm sorry it got the best of your friend. The best you can do for her is keep sober and live your life holding her memory close to your heart.
so sorry to hear of your friend...as part of my career, I sometimes work with those struggling with addiction. It is a tough road, but takes much hope, perseverance, etc. I hope you have some time to grieve for her death and celebrate her memory.
My heart broke for you when I read this. There are never words to make it hurt less...especially with a friend made during a battle for your life. A dear friend of mine lost his battle against this as well...only 18 when he was killed.
With that said, I'm bursting with pride for you to have beat something that is so sinister and devasting. You are one of the few. Love yourself.
I give you a rating of 100. Should make up for anytime you didn't feel what you did was up to par.
i can't begin imagine your feelings surrounding this..
regarding the Eat Pray Love book - i think it is very worth buying.. i love the honesty in her (Elizabeth Gilbert) writing.. i read it but often go back to highlighted phrases for reference. GET IT! you won't be disappointed.
Thank you for writing this. And thank you for reading me.
My father is an addict who recently relapsed for the 98094875095th time. I don't talk about it on my blog, despite having thousands of words in my head, because he reads it. My family reads it. And I don't want to wound him more than he already wounds himself.
This post reminds me of my Uncle Ron. He was my Mom's little brother and probably the coolest Uncle that anyone could ever have. He was full of so much life and love. I never have met anyone like him, still to this day. He was such a gentle soul that when sober only brought smiles to people's faces. But that was the problem; he spent about 20 years of his life battling alcoholism. Despite all the love I tried to show him, all the prayers I sent up to God, even the couple letters I wrote him as a young girl telling him I had faith in him to stop drinking, he never could.
Until the day he died, about 2 years ago last Christmas, he was never free. All I pray is that he is free now with the angels in heaven. My Uncle Ron meant so much to me as I am sure Jenny meant so much to you. It is such an ugly disease and I will now pray for both of them that they can both find peace in heaven.
Thank you for sharing that with us, even through the pain. It is important to tell the truth about this disease, even when the truth us ugly and painful.
i am amazed at all the comments... so many of us have been touched my alcoholism and addiction in one way or another - i am baffled, bewildered, and incredibly grateful!
22 comments:
As the daughter of an alchoholic who won't get treatment, I understand the huge impact this disease has on the person and everyone around them. You should be proud of yourself for getting the help you need, and for trying to help other people in the same position. Thanks for writing about this with such honesty. Takes a brave person!
Sorry about the heartache Robs. As ever I am proud of your strength.
loove you - mummmmm
I am so sorry for your loss and pain during this time. Addiction of any kind is hard to kick and I'm sorry it got the best of your friend. The best you can do for her is keep sober and live your life holding her memory close to your heart.
thank you so much for your kind words. every one of you have influenced my life. you give me faith - knowing that there are good people out there...
please, if you could, keep her family in your prayers.
thanks again.
so sorry to hear of your friend...as part of my career, I sometimes work with those struggling with addiction. It is a tough road, but takes much hope, perseverance, etc. I hope you have some time to grieve for her death and celebrate her memory.
I can very much relate to this post, sadly, as my best friend is an alcoholic. Thank you for writing it. I am so sorry about your friend.
How sad. truly sad.
I love you Robin. Hang in there. It is so nice to hear you express your feelings so eloquently. Her family remains in my prayers.
so sorry for the loss of your friend. it is right to hate the disease and right to continue to love those whom it takes. It is a disease...
Robin, I am so sorry. Both of you will be in my thoughts today.
thank you so much. i really appreciate your support. thanks for keeping her in your hearts and prayers.
My heart broke for you when I read this. There are never words to make it hurt less...especially with a friend made during a battle for your life. A dear friend of mine lost his battle against this as well...only 18 when he was killed.
With that said, I'm bursting with pride for you to have beat something that is so sinister and devasting. You are one of the few. Love yourself.
I give you a rating of 100. Should make up for anytime you didn't feel what you did was up to par.
i can't begin imagine your feelings surrounding this..
regarding the Eat Pray Love book - i think it is very worth buying.. i love the honesty in her (Elizabeth Gilbert) writing.. i read it but often go back to highlighted phrases for reference. GET IT! you won't be disappointed.
take care of you
So sorry, Robin. Take good care.
**sigh**
Thank you for writing this. And thank you for reading me.
My father is an addict who recently relapsed for the 98094875095th time. I don't talk about it on my blog, despite having thousands of words in my head, because he reads it. My family reads it. And I don't want to wound him more than he already wounds himself.
This post reminds me of my Uncle Ron. He was my Mom's little brother and probably the coolest Uncle that anyone could ever have. He was full of so much life and love. I never have met anyone like him, still to this day. He was such a gentle soul that when sober only brought smiles to people's faces. But that was the problem; he spent about 20 years of his life battling alcoholism. Despite all the love I tried to show him, all the prayers I sent up to God, even the couple letters I wrote him as a young girl telling him I had faith in him to stop drinking, he never could.
Until the day he died, about 2 years ago last Christmas, he was never free. All I pray is that he is free now with the angels in heaven. My Uncle Ron meant so much to me as I am sure Jenny meant so much to you. It is such an ugly disease and I will now pray for both of them that they can both find peace in heaven.
Thank you for sharing that with us, even through the pain.
It is important to tell the truth about this disease, even when the truth us ugly and painful.
i am amazed at all the comments... so many of us have been touched my alcoholism and addiction in one way or another - i am baffled, bewildered, and incredibly grateful!
I am so sorry for your loss!
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
I am so sorry for your loss. This is so devastating. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Post a Comment