Tuesday, April 15, 2008

15th kindness: surf and sand



One Heart
By Franz Wright


It is late afternoon and I have just returned from

the longer version of my walk nobody knows

about. For the first time in nearly a month, and

everything changed. It is the end of March, once

more I have lived. This morning a young woman

described what it’s like shooting coke with a baby
in your arms. The astonishing windy and altering light

and clouds and water were, at certain moments,
You.

There is only one heart in my body, have mercy on me.

The brown leaves buried all winter creatureless feet
running over dead grass beginning to green, the first scent-
less violet here and there, returned, the first star noticed all
at once as one stands staring into the black water.

Thank You for letting me live for a little as one of the

sane; thank You for letting me know what this is
like.
Thank You for letting me look at your frightening

blue sky without fear, and your terrible world without

terror, and your loveless psychotic and hopelessly

lost

     with this love

today's kindness: walk on the beach and picking up litter. 5.  

this is a poem i return to often - especially the last stanza. given the last few day's events, i thought it would be appropriate to share. 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful poem.

There is only one heart in my body, have mercy on me.

your loveless psychotic and hopelessly lost with this love.
What an amazing moment.

Good deed too. The beaches are important.

Robin said...

Beautiful poem, it evoked memories of a man I used to live with who suffered from depression, and once in a great while I got a glimpse into the world in his head and it was surreal and astonishing and terrifying, and I tried to love him harder. I always held out hope, like "the grass beginning to green" but in the end it got the better of us and he chose it over me.

Great photo also, wonderful composition.

Britt said...

Walking along the beach always makes me feel peaceful. The ocean is so amazing.
Hope you had a good day!

OmarSal said...

This photograph wonderfully compliments the poem--for me, at least. I love the photograph because it is the most inoculously undescriptuve beach photo I have seen in a long time. One cannot see sand nor any part of the ocean in the photograph. Only the umbrella and the heads of men allude to a beach environment. This coupled with the grey sky conveys a mood of emotionally-depressive beauty, which, wonderfully, is exactly what the poem conveys--for me at least.

Jen said...

Haunting but lovely- and giving thanks for what we have is the ultimate in power over our lives
love m

Anonymous said...

beautiful! just what i needed to read right now you crazy psychic. come visit me please!

Anonymous said...

that was me ! cassie : )

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Lovely poem.....thanks for sharing....

please sir said...

Very inspiring poem and photograph...what a great message. I'm going to the beach this weekend and will pick up trash I see!

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks, everyone! i'm glad this good deed thing is catching on :) i don't feel so self righteous when other people do it, too! ha, just kidding.

but seriously.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters