Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I love: Edward Ruscha.

Twenty Six Gasoline Stations. 

Nine Swimming Pools and a Broken Glass, 1968.

Edward Ruscha is an American artist, still living!, who people associate with Pop Art.

I decided to include him in the I love series, because Southern California is a thematic thread running through most of his work –He has his finger on the vibe of LA in his book Every Building On the Sunset Strip – or his paintings Standard Station, Large Trademark, Hollywood.

I like Nine Swimming Pools and a Broken Glass, 1968. Perhaps the bland, banal, and neon images inspire memories of Florida – 
hot suburban days… the burn of bare feet on shellrock roads, the crunch of crab grass beneath 
a blanket… humid air smelling of chlorine, cut grass, and sulfer. 

What do you all think? Is this art, or are these dumb snapshots not worth your time?


22 comments:

Katelin said...

i think the pics are pretty cool. don't know if i'd necessarily pay to own them, but i like them :)

please sir said...

These are great - LOVE them!

Tha BossMack TopSoil said...

Excellent Pics Babygurl ;-)

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks, ladies and mr. bossmack!

Dolce said...

These are pretty cool. I've never heard of Bossmack before.

robin ann mcintosh said...

me neither, ha.

Sian said...

Ooh, define art. There's a job.

Perhaps what is important is the thinking behind the image. If I took that picture, it would be banal. But if the bloke taking the picture has something to say about suburbia and it hidden dangers...then maybe it is art.
I prefer Wayfaring Wanderer and Technodoll anyway...

Sian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I didn't eve know that I had a channel called ovation until a few days ago, that's how artistically inclined I am. They have a show on there called something like "art or not" where different people look at something & weigh in on whether it's art. I would say this is art.

Anonymous said...

I think any time you put time and effort and thought into any piece or idea it should be consider art. Who is to say what makes an artist. I think these images are so cool!

Mrs.French said...

This is definitelly art and it is wonderful!

Britt said...

ya, this one doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. But I am most definitely not a voice to be reckoned with in the art world, so no worries there :)

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I appreciate them, different strokes for different folks!



Sian: Awe Shucks.....now you've got me smiling AGAIN!!!

Jen said...

The pool pics are Very David Hockney like Robs- you have a keen eye!

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt after this one. Robs is into everything that exists on this planet.

Lydia said...

I could take or leave these. Certainly wouldn't buy them.
I also prefer Wayfaring Wanderer by leaps and bounds.
And the guy at this blog, especially this particular piece I LOVE --
http://davidsdigitalart.blogspot.com/2008/05/st-theodore.html

Scott W said...

I ♥ Ed's paintings. I didn't know he was a photographer, too.

Patricia Marie said...

I could go either way on these. I like the black & white photos the best.

please sir said...

If you get time I hope you can contribute to my What do you do for a living post - would love to hear about you!

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks for all the comments - and Lydia, thanks for the link!! i don't know if you have or not, but you should check out Scott's blog (he commented above) - he is also a talented artist.

diana - I am off to check out the what you do for a living post,

and also, wayfaring wanderer - do you see all these magnificent compliments?? you deserve every single one!!

Lydia said...

I just attempted to access Scott's blog from the link at your comments and it is blocked, something about being private. Probably a fluke and I'll definitely try again later.

Having read about Diana's survey I visited her blog, and really enjoyed tha interesting comments. It was cool to read what you do for a living, Robin. My cousin, Heather, is in a similar position planning huge events and I've always been impressed by how hard she works in this field. I had fun responding to Diana's survey-a rundown on my life in the workforce.

Lydia said...

OOps, Robin, I just read your REAL comments at please sir, and it sounds more like you than the ones written by "Robin" that I mistakenly thought was your comment.

I'm flaky today, just learned that a family friend committed suicide last week. :(

 
Hit CountersHit Counters