this is a post from my best friend, omar. i have written about him many times before. i love this person with all my heart! here's why:


After a year of marriage my parents were informed that my mother was incapable of conceiving. In spite of this, my parents tried in vain for several years to have children. After five years of failure, they began looking into adoption. It was only after they narrowed down their choices that my mother discovered that she was pregnant with me. My sister was born a little less than two years later. Simply by existing, my sister and I have brought my parents the greatest joy. It’s an interesting feeling.
Perhaps this explains Mom’s insistence that her little children abstain from “ordinary clothing.” No jeans or t-shirts for me as a toddler. I wore sailor suites, home-made shirts, pirate garments, and mini-tuxedos to the movies.
My sister, Sofia, and I were the best dressed children in Baltimore, without question. It’s probably more accurate to say, most uniquely dressed. Mom was always photographing us in our interesting clothing. She would stand back, make some ridiculous face, fumble with her camera, and I would start laughing, lost in my own world while Sofia remained perfectly fixated on the camera.
We lived in a beautiful, early 19th century Colonial-style house in Baltimore. The basement had concrete floors, a series of dog kennels my father had built when he unsuccessfully dabbled in dog breeding, and very dim lighting. It was humid, moldy, and there were old, rusty power-tools my father hung on the walls and never used. In short, it was a dungeon. For several months, my sister and I believed that our parents were the king and queen from some forgotten country, seriously. We would search the entire house for jewels, much to my mother’s dismay when she saw me toting around her necklaces like a pirate carrying away his booty. Perhaps this is why my mother designed a sailor suite for me, perhaps but probably not.
So Mom, I have no idea why you dressed me as a sailor, but I love you for it.
15 comments:
"pirate garments, and mini-tuxedos to the movies." That is too cute....I wanna see some of those photos!!
Although one thing I'm slightly confused about.....how does that directly relate to why you love Omar?! I'm perplexed....haha
Hi Robin; thanks for commenting on my blog and especially for recommending the book "Broken" by Bill Moyers son. I will definitely get it.
By the way, have you ever been besieged by "Mickey". I had 20 comments on one blog recently and, of course, deleted them immediately. He is from Australia and is a religious freak who hates AA. (Scary stuff)
hahah! I can just imagine the outfits :)
I love that she dressed you up in sailor outfits. The most creative my outfits got is when I dressed myself in tu-tus.
what a neat story!!
i just love his quirkiness. he makes me laugh!
Thanks so much for the comment - I emailed you with my info!! Excited to see!
That is such a great story! Thanks for sharing.
aw such a sweet story. love the idea of sailor suits and mini tuxes, precious!
Hey Omar- in that cute sailor suit you are a dead ringer for one of the village people- I love it!!!
ncie post omar, nice to see you write. =]
it was a nice post, but next time i want to see an explanation about t&d's. time to let the world know!
Thank you all for your nice comments. I have read many of your blogs whenever I sneak in a few minutes (5 to sometimes 35 minutes) at the office.
Robin: By the way, our hand signals were completely backwards. I love you and your beautiful quirkiness as well.
WackJack: Thank you and again... ¿que pasa? when are you going to end your writer's strike? I have no idea what's going on in San Francisco anymore. It feels like I've lost my SanFran eyes.
jen: The sailor suite was very "village people"-ish, but one of my favorites was an indian costume my mom and Reina made me for halloween when I was in the second grade. That photo is hanging in my former bedroom in Michigan--former because my mom has converted it into her home office/workout/studio.
Omar, I love your story and your sense of humor. The whole outfits/costumes and exiled king and queen thing - reminds me of David Sedaris.
awww so cute! i love the story :)
my mother had a hard time conceiving too. my brother was born 5 years after my parents were married and then i came after 7 years. and as you said so beautifully, even though it took years before we came along, we brought our parents the greatest joy.
Post a Comment