Wednesday, June 18, 2008

buenas


I spoke with Evan tonight. He is in Medellín, Colombia.

Evan is... well, he was my boyfriend, for a very long time… and now? he is my good friend. Good friend? He is something complicated, unable to be explained, a unique presence for which I am grateful.

So we got to talking, about his life and my life, good things and bad. And I brought up the writer’s block, and the possibility that at 18 I was better than I am now. I told him for awhile I lost hope, especially during the college dark ages… (sound the violins).

And the cheeky bastard, what did he say? he denied it. Said I never lost hope, said that I used to say no matter what, no matter what the situation, I could always pull something out.

I smiled.

thousands of miles away and he still knows me well enough to surprise myself with myself.
: )

19 comments:

coolhntr said...

Isn't it fun to remember the truth about yourself.

It is so easy to forget to remember.

J.

Britt said...

I love those people who know you so well that they know exactly what you need to hear about you.

Also..columbia? wow!

robin ann mcintosh said...

he's a world traveller at the moment. next stop india, I think! : )

Lydia said...

A vignette so fine :)

Kim said...

Aw, and he's right I'm sure. :-)

Natasha said...

I am loving that he is in Columbia...
Great thing he remembered cause the last time I checked my boyfriend did not remember the conversation we had yesterday!

please sir said...

I agree with the first comment...good insight.

wackyjackie said...

Remember yesterday we were talking about how ridiculous it is to compare yourself. I think this even applies to you and yourself. Embrace your writing now and the new era of your life. =)

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how someone can know you almost if not better than you know yourself. I'm glad you guys can still be friends. It is important. I totally know that feeling.

Unknown said...

always glad to be of service : )

Lani said...

It's wonderful to have friends who can surprise us like that. They remind us that there are still a million mysteries about ourself that are waiting to be discovered.

Katelin said...

it's always nice to hear something like that. especially from someone who's so important :)

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! Beautiful. Whenever I would get down on myself back in the day, one of my dearest and closest friends would always say to me, "I wish you could see yourself the way other people see you...if you could, you'd realize how amazing you are." Your post reminded me of that. Where would we be without these people, huh? XO

Anonymous said...

Love this post and the photo. Thanks for your comment on my blog today. I think your blog is great too and emily is also one of my favorite poets along with cummings.

Mrs.French said...

This Evan is very attentive...good to have one like him around.

Anonymous said...

"It's complicated."

Sigh. But at least one thing is clear now :o)

Shadow said...

hiya! what a beautiful compliment you got there, out of the blue...

thanks for visiting and your sweet comment!

Diana Coronado said...

Lovely post and nice picture !!
hugs!!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

aw.. isn't it lovely to have people in your life like that?!?

 
Hit CountersHit Counters