Tuesday, June 10, 2008

C+ student.


I tutor a third grader in the craft of writing. I teach him how to describe (use all your senses), I teach him how to persuade (Please and Thank You), I teach him how to narrate (word-movie). 

But today, for the first time, I had him teach me. 

I wrote an essay about an evil LegoMan named Bob. Bob found a digging machine and accidentally dug himself to China. He ate some rice and drove a ford. Then he dug himself home. The end. 

My third grader gave me a C+. 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what does he know? He is only in third grade. I would give you an A+ Little Bird for a 1000 original thoughts and topics. Your like an oil gusher, you never seem to run dry. Each time I check your blog its something different to amuse us. Often very different from your last post. You must be tuning into the Spirit with its 1000 dawnings. I see a skilled writer here who could keep up with a periodical publication. Where in God's name did you get the pic from?

Lydia said...

Ditto everything bigbird said! Did you take this picture? Look at the expression on the boy's face!

Kim said...

Lol!! Hey at least he gave you the + at the end, that makes it closer to a B right? :-)

Natasha said...

That was so funny! Sorry about the grade....happens to the best of us

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Now that is one imaginative story......kudos!

Britt said...

hahahah! Little kids are awesome. I also loved lego when I was that age. Those little lego men were awesome. And they had little ladies with eyelashes etc. Fun business. :)

molly said...

what a really neat thing to do - tutor a third grader. kids can teach us soooo much about ourselves. !! Sorry I haven't been around lately - been in my own little bubble but i'm getting back out and about. hope u are doing well - sounds like you are. take care - i'd love to know how you are doing :)

please sir said...

Haha...aww...but how wonderful to find that photo!

Anonymous said...

What a cute and slightly disturbing story! :) I would have given you an A+.

neutron said...

Sounds hilarious. Can you post the essay? Might be fun!

Jen said...

I love that you named the character Bob!! He's like another Bob with his giant square lego head, his love of machines, his relentless ambition to dig, his limited diet and his support of the American economy by driving a Ford. I just don't get the evil part so I too award you a C+

Katelin said...

sounds like a riveting story, apparently your third grader is not one for lego men going to china. so sad.

OmarSal said...

The story is great. However, maybe the third grader found the concept of a lego Bob digging to China perposterous. Even if Lego Bob (hereafter "LB") managed to devise a tunnel that could withstand the biblical pressure one finds at the Earth's core, the shear heat of the core would melt LB's square head, rendering him incapable of intelligent thought, thus making it impossible for him to continue his complicated task of tunneling through the world and, thus, leading to his inexorable, square-headed destruction.

Perhaps your third grader understood your story in a similiar way and gave you a C+ for your effort. If this was the case, then he missed the true purpose of the story and is, therefore, incapable of rendering an accurate grade, so don't let it get you down.

PS: imagine if we could devise a metro network that ran through the world with bullet trains, powered by the Earth's own core. That would revolutionize intercontinental travel! You have given me a great, economically unfeasible idea to ponder.

Mrs.French said...

hmmm...I give it a solid B-.

Dolce said...

He got all the way to China! That's gotta be B material.

Robin said...

At least he graded you "above average", which you definitely are!

Lani said...

Hehehe...I love this post, Robin!! I'm still giggling.

Anonymous said...

this should be a book, I would buy it.

Sarah said...

i agree with sarakastic!

Teresa @ good-grace said...

I love it. :) And I also agree with sarakastic.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters