Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Cass.


I spoke with my sister tonight. Not the youngest, Jackie, who I talk to daily, but the middle sister, Cassie - the one in white on the far left. 

I am so blessed. So enveloped by love, so taken care of, so protected. 


To my dear Sister, Mrs. C. P. on her Nuptial 
by Katherine Philips

We will not like those men our offerings pay
Who crown the cup, then think they crown the day.
We make no garlands, nor an altar build,
Which help not Joy, but Ostentation yield.
Where mirth is justly grounded these wild toyes
Are but a troublesome, and empty noise.

2.
But these shall be my great Solemnities,
Orinda's wishes for Cassandra's bliss.
May her Content be as unmix'd and pure
As my Affection, and like that endure;
And that strong Happiness may she still find
Not owing to her Fortune, but her Mind.

3.
May her Content and Duty be the same,
And may she know no Grief but in the name.
May his and her Pleasure and Love be so
Involv'd and growing, that we may not know
Who most Affection or most Peace engrost;
Whose Love is strongest, or whose Bliss is most.

4.
May nothing accidental e're appear
But what shall with new bonds their Souls endear;
And may they count the hours as they pass,
By their own Joys, and not by Sun or Glass:
While every day like this may Sacred prove
To Friendship, Gratitude, and Strictest Love.

I wish you all sisters, in this life or the next.

12 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Beautiful post....

Kim said...

Love it. Completely love it.

Britt said...

My two sisters are such different people. Probably has a bit to do with the fact that they're 10 years apart. They both have shaped me into who I am. As it appears have your sisters done to you! :)

Lani said...

Adorable picture! You girls are so beautiful :)

Katelin said...

so sweet, i love it.

Lydia said...

I do wish that I could send a link to this beautiful post in an email to my sister. But she checks her emails so infrequently and so rarely writes. I envy you and your sisters the accessibility you have granted to one another's lives. My sister is so private, so guarded. And yet, her most recent email (one of only two this entire year) said that she thinks she'd miss me more than I would miss her if I were to die before her. I will print off your post and send snail mail to Indiana!

OmarSal said...

I have a sister, she's great. We hang out whenever possible. I wonder what conversations you and her would have. Dogs would definetely be a topic.

It's been many years since I've seen miss Cassie in person. She's a brilliant woman. We're facebook homies and iPhone accomplisses.

Unknown said...

pure sweetness and truth. all i can think to say is-- amen, sister.

robin ann mcintosh said...

: ) amen.

lydia, my middle sister is like that, she is very hard to get a hold of... i know how you feel. <3 i'm glad you keep persisting, despite.

accomplice, oms.

Cassandra J said...

loved this! also- just saw sex and the city- loved that too!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

what a lovely sister tribute!

wackyjackie said...

ahhhh i am happy you guys had a good convo. Your hair in that robin !!!!!! hahahahahhaha i love it. and mom calls mine a birds nest !

 
Hit CountersHit Counters