Tuesday, June 17, 2008

a drop of ink and a million think.


Today I gave myself a break from writing and allowed myself to read the work of others.

303

The Soul selects her own Society—
Then—shuts the Door—
To her divine Majority—
Present no more—

Unmoved—she notes the Chariots—pausing—
At her low Gate—
Unmoved—an Emperor be kneeling
Upon her Mat—

I've known her—from an ample nation—
Choose One—
Then—close the Valves of her attention—
Like Stone—

Emily Dickinson

I like to believe she was speaking of her art, the solitude and isolation necessary to create. And the "society" of encouraging people you must surround yourself with...

We are all born in captivity. That is no disgrace, for there is no other place in which to be born… But unlike other animals, whose original endownment is also their ultimate endowment, we can be born, as it were, in one world, and come at last to live in quite another.

Richard Mitchell

tomorrow is another day! goodnight, everyone : )

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good lord Robin I don't know how you understand some of the poetry that you put on your blog. Thank God we have some raw I.Q.around here.Thanks for the book today i needed it!

Lydia said...

Thank you for posting the Emily Dickinson poem. It describes the struggle I've been having with balancing my desire for absolute solitude to write and create, and caring for those who need and depend upon me. That "'society' of encouraging people" you speak of is pulling me through, for which I'm most grateful.

molly said...

hiya girlie! sorry i have been around.. i tend to get wrapped in my own little world at times. today i am low on words for some reason.. maybe i need my morning cappucino - so i'm off to do that. hope u have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog!

Gorgeous blog - you post some inspirational stuff!

Britt said...

I like the Richard Mitchell quote. How true.

please sir said...

What a wonderful treat!

Jessie Cacciola said...

aw, great post -- i love those words by Mitchell.

Unknown said...

robin, i love your blog. it is quickly becoming one of my favorite stops everyday. the poem by ms. dickinson is one of my favorites from years ago, and i so enjoyed revisiting it with new-ish eyes. i'm still digesting richard mitchell's words-- they made me think, so thank you for that, girly!
*

Rosemary/sonrie said...

I am such a fan of Emily Dickinson -- did a huge research paper on her in high school lit class, and still didn't get tired of reading her work.

This one is a good choice.

neutron said...

I find the Mitchell one very moving. Tomorrow is another day, yes, but it's what we make of it.

Katelin said...

oh i love the emily poem, very cool.

robin ann mcintosh said...

thank you, everyone! Katelin, I love how you are on a first name basis, ha : ) I like Em too, she's a clever one.

Molly - and she shows her head! so nice to hear from you hon, looking forward to talking to you again : )

And Kelly - I am blushing, that is such a nice compliment. I love your blog too, in fact I just put you on my "inspirations" list. Because that's what you are, lady, an inspiration for me and the rest : )

Sizzle said...

I just adore that poem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. Great words by some great people.

OmarSal said...

Often a break is the best option. Call me, we have future plans to discuss regarding an island.

Robin said...

Love the ED poem, she is always a wonderful one to turn to for inspiration.

I want to know more about the island Omar is talking about...

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

Love the Mitchell quote.

robin ann mcintosh said...

robin, we are going to curacao for a vacation! in early july, TRUST me, you will hear tons about it.

Lani said...

Beautiful poetry. Thank you for sharing :)

 
Hit CountersHit Counters