Saturday, June 7, 2008

pet peeves.


I ate rabbit. Tasted like chicken. Reminded me of Blinky. 

Mr. Blinks belonged to Cassie, Jackie and I. He died of a heart attack. In my arms. I pitched him back in the cage, ran to my room, and waited for the sky to fall. Two hours later my Dad knocked on the door. "Yes?" I asked, nonchalantly. "Robin, what happened to Blinky?" I shrugged.

After Blinky we got a couple of turtles, one of which we named "undecided." 

Undecided & co were followed by a long line of parakeets: Purdy, Lemonade, Colors, Bluebird, Budgie, Damn Bird - Mom, Jack, Cass, can you guys remember any more? 

I consider Sir Sampson my first real pet. 

What was - or is - your first pet? 

9 comments:

Lydia said...

First pet was a black Cocker Spaniel named Lady. I was a toddler but remember her well. I see you had a turtle; left you more info about "I like turtles" t-shirt back at your comment at my blog. What I didn't tell in that post was (*sniffle*) my sis and I had turtles named Romeo and Juliet when we were little. One cold snowy day I had the brilliant idea of giving them a warm bath. Not realizing how hot the water was that I poured in the sink, we plopped them in. Mouths agape, red mouths. It was a horrid death and the water was too hot for us to get them out. Turtle soup.
It still breaks my heart...

amy turn sharp said...

Smokey the Noreigian Elkhound. I loved him ever so much.

Cassandra J said...

Buddy- True to form, Jackie named him after her beau at the time.

Wiggles- The other turtle.

Tom the box turtle.

Sapphire and Kirby but that was later on.

Rediscovered my user name/blog miss! Need to figure out how to make a banner

Britt said...

Hahah, see my post on my many animals. I have yet to have one that just belongs to me though. When T and I move in together, we're getting a dog. (We've already named him Winston)

Dana May said...

You had parakeets too?

robin ann mcintosh said...

Lydia, that is a horrifying story, I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Dana May, yes I had a whole slew of budgies : )

Britt - what kind of dog? That's so exciting.

Jen said...

Uncle Chris had the bright idea of building a huge revolving, round cage for your parakeets which he hung outside. When we were all out of the house a stiff breeze came up and the birds spent hours whirling around at 90 miles and hour until one by one they keeled over dead. We were all furious at Chris of course... love m

Sian said...

Jeepers!
There are some truly awful stories here!

My first pet was a corgi, a tiny Welsh cattle dog. She would chase anything that moved and she was as crotchety as anything.
But we loved her.

Robin said...

My first pet was a tuxedo cat named Bentley who actually preceded me in the family household, as my parents had acquired him prior to my being born. He was a great cat, especially when you didn't feel well, he would snuggle under the covers.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters