Sunday, June 22, 2008

a talent is formed in stillness.



Writing Exercise: write 6 stanza poem in under 5 minutes. this is what I came up with:

6. 
the salt 
of skin 
lemon rind. 

5.
I wink 
hello!
you're here.

4. 
faith? 
pay my 
fee. 

3.
fog: 
a cat
pounces.


2.
silk, 
night. 

1. 
one. 


Suggestions for Living a Disciplined Writing Life, from Pat Schneider's Writing Alone and with Others. 

1. Belief, not discipline.

2. Accepting yourself as an artist.

3. Meeting your needs as a writer.

4. Making your writing time a reward, not a duty.

5. Confronting the hard times head on.

6. Putting your writing first.

7. Never underestimate the power of sleep.

8. Dealing with your envy.

9. Do not judge your work.

10. Writing has its seasons.

11. When all else fails: make a deadline for yourself.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like number 7! Like your poem too, esp. one silk night. Beautiful photo, too... pink clouds, aaaah!

Natasha said...

Number seven speaks to me in so many ways...

Britt said...

Everyone likes the sleep one...me too! So true :)

Rosemary/sonrie said...

pretty sunset...the wish jar has a good quote for you today: http://www.kerismith.com/blog/

please sir said...

Great Exercise...#2 is powerful, and sometimes the hardest.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

2. Accepting yourself as an artist.
*I can barely call myself a photographer, it just doesn't sound right to me!?!?!

9. Do not judge your work.
*I am my worst critic......

Unknown said...

i had a feeling we were soul-sisters when i first came to your blog. now i know it.

beautiful work.

*

Katelin said...

oh i love this, so fun. love 5.

Anonymous said...

Excellent suggestions, as I believe they can apply to so many other disciplines. Keep it up!

barry said...

Robin- Love that pic!!! The orange sky is georgeous!! Keep it up coach.

Robin said...

I love those suggestions, they can be applied to som any other aspects of life as well. Isn't it funny how sometimes we don't see the common sense in things until someone else writes it down?

Now I'm off to do #7. G'night!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I struggle with #9.

Lovely poem girlie!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters