The Best Cigarette
There are many that I miss
having sent my last one out a car window
sparking along the road one night, years ago.
The heralded one, of course:
after sex, the two glowing tips
now the lights of a single ship;
at the end of a long dinner
with more wine to come
and a smoke ring coasting into the chandelier;
or on a white beach,
holding one with fingers still wet from a swim.
How bittersweet these punctuations
of flame and gesture;
but the best were on those mornings
when I would have a little something going
in the typewriter,
the sun bright in the windows,
maybe some Berlioz on in the background.
I would go into the kitchen for coffee
and on the way back to the page,
curled in its roller,
I would light one up and feel
its dry rush mix with the dark taste of coffee.
Then I would be my own locomotive,
trailing behind me as I returned to work
little puffs of smoke,
indicators of progress,
signs of industry and thought,
the signal that told the nineteenth century
it was moving forward.
That was the best cigarette,
when I would steam into the study
full of vaporous hope
and stand there,
the big headlamp of my face
pointed down at all the words in parallel lines.
--Billy Collins
17 comments:
It is no easy feat to quit. I tried numerous times and it wasn't until I turned 30 that I finally gave it up to good. (5 years now!)I just realized that I wanted to feel healthier, have more lung capacity, have lower blood pressure (was on birth control which was BAD news) and that someday I wanted to be a mom. . . a Mom who was healthy and would live long and be a positive example to my kids. Plus, smoking for me had a lot of guilt because my dad died of lung cancer (he smoked for 50+ years). So I quit.
Acupuncture helped me with the nerves and moodiness. I never used the gums or patch.
I wish you luck! It's a wonderful gift you can give yourself.
quit and replace it with running
You're way ahead of my on the drinking part, but I'm light years ahead of you on the smoking bit. I quit almost 7 years ago and never looked back. I could ramble on about the bad side effect of smoking and tell you everything you already know, but here's something I didn't even know.
Of my friends who have smoke since their late teens early twenties (7-10 years) they are looking OLD! The years they have been smoking is catching up to them and is shows all over their faces. I'm not kidding, I have one friend whose wrinkles on her face could easily pass her for being 8 years older. It's the wrinkles around the mouth/lips and eyes that's the worst.
I kid you not.
So if their smoking is finally showing signs on the outside, imagine the damage on the inside.
the gum worked for me- I am actually so terrible bc I try and sneak a cig even now when I am out trying to recapture the 90's in a bar every now and again and it is terrible- habits come hard- I have been struggling with having some lately with friends who still smoke- but I am resolved to give it really up/no pretending I can do it once in a while- I am 34! I am smokeaholic and I just gotta stay away- but, honeslty- the gum works! really. and just be prepared to be a bit off for a week! You can do it lovey!
Seriously, you are too freaking cute man......
I quit with Nicorette gum a couple years back.....
I've heard though that cutting back slowing, like realizing your triggers and cutting back in those areas will help.
Like if you want to smoke when you get in your car, or if you smoke right when you wake up, or directly after eating, etc.
Pick one of those times, and tell yourself not to do it then.....maybe it'll help?!
It only takes a few short minutes to overcome the urge, I would always call people to help talk me out of smoking a cigarette.......
oh lawd child - that's not an easy one to take on. i had a guy in my group say he had a harder time quitting smoking than he did drinking. i was able to quit fairly easy but i never smoked that much to begin with. i took up compulsive shopping after that! ha - that one's been sorted out too now.
i could go in to all the nasties about cigs but don't think that would help - i'm sure you've heard them all
a part of loving yourself is taking care of your body and mind.... when u are healthy and happy, you are able to be of better service to others.. getting enough oxygen into the system allows u to think more clearly - we were given the 'breath' of Life by the big man upstairs - don't you want MORE of that ?? I know you CAN do this - it will take some work. Write down all the benefits perhaps - like saving money, breathing easier, breath won't stink, you get to keep your teeth longer, your hair won't smell, lung tissue will heal and won't be all tarry and black and oozy.. YUM huh!?! i'm reallly helpful today huh?
take care of you and that means quitting BUT NOT if you aren't ready or feel in a 'safe' secure place in sobriety. smoke forever if it means no drinkie. gotta pick u battles girlie.
I would say Quit! and run as fast as you can away...however, I have never smoked, so it's easier said than done for me...Good luck with whatever choice you make.
mmm...its so bad for you, but people look so good doing it, as you do in this picture.
So yeah. Smoking in bad for you. If I say "You should quit," that's not advice, it's Captain Obvious speaking.
Advice though... go easy on yourself. Be realistic in your expectations and don't let any setbacks or slipups make you so frustrated that you quit quitting.
i can't say quit. i'm not a smoker either. but you have to really want to quit in order to do so. my hubb said it was one of the most difficult things to do.
Well I quite like you and would rather you stay around for a long long time so I say quitting would be beneficial. However, never having smoked, its definitely easier said than done I'm sure. A good friend of mine smoked for 30+ years and tried everything to quit. What finally worked for her was a laser treatment. I know that if you put your mind to do it, you'd do it...look at all the other things you've done when you focused yourself on it!
Good luck girlie!
Great post Robin. And you look cute as a cow girl (and in the morning and at night and in the afternoon, etc,,etc,). God do u have an imagination for interesting stuff to blog on. I had to quite twice 33years ago. The first time as a substitute for cigs I over-ate hot spicey food, mainly Mexican food. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, threw up, then collapsed on the floor. I had been bleeding internally for God knows how long. They saved my life that night with 13 pints of blood and at one point suggested that I talk to a clergyman as I might not make it. I started again after I was released form the hospital. When I quite again I was on pills to protect me from bleeding. A guy told me that nicotene is cunning, baffling and powerful and convinces us that life is a drag without cigs but he said that if you hold out 30 days the urge completely goes away as its out of your system. And that was exactly what happened after 30 days. I go with Molly on this one Robin, pick your battles. I happen to know you have a number of them you are currently dealing with successfully. Why add more stress. Wait until you are more secure with the other stuff. Timing is everything for success.
Boy, I don't check in here for 48 hours and I miss so much! One of my earlier posts (March) was on my quitting smoking. I'm going to be lazy and give you the link, on two lines, to paste in your browser (need to learn how to do a hot link in a comment).
http://writerquake.blogspot.com/
search?q=on+quitting++smoking
{If you do read this post, Robin, don't mistake my comments about AA as advice for anyone else's sobriety. It seems to me that your meetings far excel any that I found around here...}
Now, back to quitting smoking: Barry is right, do it when the time is right to ensure success.
And I add, ...but do it. In my physical last year my doctor told me that I have very early emphysema and I've been so depressed about it ever since. He said it will take years&years, maybe decades, to get worse but unless medicine figures out some kind of cure, it WILL progress. I'm gonna walk, run, hike and play with more appreciation for the good health I've been blessed with than I've ever had. I've always taken my strong, healthy body for granted; now I thank God for it.
AH you are all scaring me, this is GOOD! thanks, everyone. xo
My best friend quit smoking with the help of aromatherapy. She used to dab a few drops on her wrist and smell it whenever she felt like having a smoke - apparently it was tremendous is helping to curb the craving. I'll ask her what it was and get back to you asap.
Good luck!!
My older sister smoked for years, and quit about a year or two ago. She says she never realized how much she stank of cigarette smoke until after she gave it up. Just a thought! :)
I wonder what happened on this one!
Post a Comment