Tuesday, July 8, 2008

It's no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase "As pretty as an airport" appear - Douglas Adams



Why have I always loved airports?

Hundreds of thousands of people congregate in one spot before departing for hundreds of thousands of places.

We join one another in line, on escalators, in the high speed trams zipping from terminal to terminal– We eat $20 burgers and sip $5 Starbucks, click clack our laptops, wearily scan crowds for that maybe-terrorist.

A fusion occurs. You become one with the crowd - you are a worker among workers, a patron among patrons.

I find this comforting.

I am watching a young Mom try to control three kids under the age of four. Deep circles sit like dark puddles below her eyes. Hairline cracks crease the thin skin around her mouth. She orders “Sandra” to pull up her pants and “Ian” to sit down, all the while bouncing a red-faced baby on her knee. I think, where is her husband? Where is the father?

So I repeat: why do I love airports, this den of germs, confusion and chaos?

Transit. Mass transit. The crowd is constantly changing, never static – only the airport employees stay put, those shadowy figures ringing up our magazines, our trailmix, our cashew shaped pillows.

Airports contain the best and the worst of humanity. Nothing beats it. Except maybe the gym.


I arrived in Miami safely, and have been hanging out with Omar's family the entire night... we watched the show "Wipeout," has anyone seen it? It is HILARIOUS, but prepared to feel seriously guilty.

more later. sweet dreams, mundobello.

15 comments:

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I am such a people watcher, the airports fare well with me.......

Britt said...

Agreed WW, I am a people watcher too, so I like airports for that reason. However, having spent a lot of the last 4 years of my life flying back and forth, airports get me a little travel weary. I'm usually quite thrilled to leave!

Glad you made it safely!!

OmarSal said...

Searching for that "maybe-terrorist"....LOL. I don't know why I found that so funny, BRAM (acronym: "Beautiful Robin Middle Lastname"). What an adventurous life we have. In a few days we'll be scuba diving and wind surfing off the coast of a Carribbean island. Hopefully we'll stay within our $400 budget.

Lydia said...

"...cashew shaped pillows" I love that description. Wow, you are in for a wonderful vacation; live it up, Robin! (and be safe)

Anonymous said...

There's something about airports, be it anticipated arrivals or giddy departures... and lately it seems I am forever dropping off or picking up loved ones from such places. I am longing to hope on a plane and head somewhere, anywhere.
see you, gracia

Kim said...

Glad you made it there ok! :-) (and for real on the $20 hamburger, crazy prices)

please sir said...

Airports can be crazy, but that have that air of romance. Like you can meet someone, or your lover chase after you. I can understand!

Anonymous said...

I love airports because everyone has a story about where they are going or who they are waiting for & in a few hours all of the stories will be on their way somewhere else. Enough of me being philosophical, I've seen Wipeout & people falling in mud is awesome.

Fifi Flowers said...

I love the airport! So much FUN to people watch!
Before SECURITY check point... passengers only beyond this point... it was WONDERFUL to see people picking up loved ones... hugs, kisses, tears!
AND... there are some pretty airport designs!

Unknown said...

beautifully written.
glad you made it safe and sound.
have a delightful trip!
*
i missed wipeout, but i DID watch the japanese gameshow survival show afterwards. total guilty pleasure!

Rosemary/sonrie said...

also love airports...and busses and metrolink trains (what we call 'em here in the St.L)

Katelin said...

this totally reminds me of the opening/closing of 'love actually' and the love that floats around in airports. as well as all the randomness that's in airports as well. but still, lovely.

Anonymous said...

"Deep circles sit like dark puddles beneath her eyes..."

That was gorgeous.

Robin said...

This is Robin Writing at its best. Fantastic description, you really painted a great picture of the type of scene evryone has seen but ignored at any airport or train station. I love it! More please!

Anonymous said...

Love the airport vignette--you're a great writer, and love the photo.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters