Sunday, July 27, 2008

task: unwarranted Fears.


When I am writing I am often struck still. I am unable to move, I am rigid with panic and doubt. “Everything has been said!” the committee screams. There aren’t enough words, you are drowning! No air!

This is a fear I rarely give voice to… why? I am terrified that if I say it, just speaking of it will render it true. And real.

So I neatly sweep it under the rug – hide it beneath some pressing thought about boyfriends, girlfriends, dinner, whatever.

To silence this scream I am paying it mind.

What are your unwarranted fears?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

THe same thing happens to me. I feel as if I have nothing new to give sometimes. But the fact is, no one else is in your individual mind, so whatever you write HASN'T been said yet-- it's pretty exciting! And good for you for doing the Artist's Way! Reading about it is making me want to do it again-- I did it a few years ago and it was great. :)

Anonymous said...

VISIT

OmarSal said...

Case in point: you will always have something, even if it is simply voicing a fear. You can give a voice to nothingness.

Sometimes I feel like there is too much to say, and therefore, nothing is said.

Have a Red Booo, love, and give Sir Sampson III a big squeeze. Thank you for your email, I read it every morning.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

You have a very unique voice.....that is what will set you apart.

Anonymous said...

VISIT

Unknown said...

robin, (welcome back!!) i know exactly what you mean. although on the surface, my fear is that i won't be able to support myself and my husband doing something i love, i think that the latent fear is that no one will relate to what i am "saying" with my art. it's a daily struggle, but i have found that just doing what i LOVE and makes me happy actually quells the fear a bit.

I love your posts about TAW, by the way.

xoxoxo
k

Jessie Cacciola said...

-- yours. i know exactly what you mean. and i deal with it in the exact same way. curse of the writers, but it sure feels amazing when you get that perfect line. and they usually come from the oddest places. something so simple. xo

Mrs.French said...

mmmm....that's sort of an easy one. Anytime I am at a function or get-together I hear a evil, nagging voice telling me "you are not interesting and these people will never like you." I have worked hard to put stomp on these thoughts, but every now and again they come creeping back. As far as your fear goes, I don't believe it! Your words are always refreshing and beautifully said.

Katelin said...

i sometimes worry about having nothing to write too. but alas something always peeks through. i think we'll be okay :)

neutron said...

I worry about time ... all the time. Am I using it wisely and how to make more of it. Last week someone stole my cell phone. I don't care about the material loss, but think about it, I worked (time) to make money to buy that phone. That's one days worth of work gone, stolen. One day I'll never get back.

robin ann mcintosh said...

it's so nice to hear about all of your insecurities, because you each are so incredibly talented -

so thank you for putting my fears to rest : )

<3

Lani said...

I think about that question a lot. Actually, every day when I go to work. One of my unwarranted fears is having a stupid idea. I know that sounds ridiculous but it's true. Sometimes I don't speak up because I am so scared that people will think my idea is stupid or lame. I'm getting better at pushing that insecurity aside, but...it's still there.

I love your words. Keep writing about anything and everything. I look forward to it everyday.

Anonymous said...

Fear is such an oppressive word, especially for such a great writer as yourself.

My fear is failure. Of any kind really. Sad, eh?

 
Hit CountersHit Counters