Friday, July 4, 2008

There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.


Dad's Mum, my grandmother, died this morning. She was a beautiful woman who exuded strength, humor, and quiet grace. She will be missed by the entire family and many, many more. I know she is in a better place, a more peaceful place. Other than that, I am stunned silent. 


Death XXVII

Then Almitra spoke, saying, "We would ask now of Death."

And he said:

You would know the secret of death.

But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life?

The owl whose night-bound eyes are blind unto the day cannot unveil the mystery of light.

If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life.

For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.

In the depth of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond;

And like seeds dreaming beneath the snow your heart dreams of spring.

Trust the dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.

Your fear of death is but the trembling of the shepherd when he stands before the king whose hand is to be laid upon him in honour.

Is the shepherd not joyful beneath his trembling, that he shall wear the mark of the king?

Yet is he not more mindful of his trembling?

For what is it to die but to stand naked in the wind and to melt into the sun?

And what is to cease breathing, but to free the breath from its restless tides, that it may rise and expand and seek God unencumbered?

Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing.

And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb.

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.

Khalil Gibran

20 comments:

Rosemary/sonrie said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. One of my favorite quotes by Christina Rossetti, "Tis not the swaying frame we miss, but the steadfast heart."

Take the time you need to grieve.

Britt said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. <3

Lydia said...

o Robin, I am so sorry about your loss. You were meant to be there with your dad and family, where you can comfort and be comforted.

"There is in God, some say,
a deep but dazzling darkness."
-Henry Vaughn, d. 1695

barry said...

Robin- It was not long ago when you told me how much your Pops had helped you durning the folly and confusion of your youth. It is no accident that the sweet spirit put you there at this time. And now it is your turn to love your Pops and hold him up. And if anyone knows how much you can love it is this writer. Thus, I know that you will hold him tenderly in your arms until his tears stop flowing and heal him with your sweet, gentle love.

Anonymous said...

:-( i'm very sorry to hear about your loss, robin.

Marie Louise said...

Robin - I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother has died. I remember my grandfather was the first person I was close to in my life to pass away. It's hard to comprehend when someone who is such a fixture in your life is suddenly gone. Take care of yourself and your family.

amy turn sharp said...

sorry my love. Be strong and hold yr family near. xo

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss

Anonymous said...

Hi came across your site sorry to hear of your loss may God comfort you and your family.and i pray you will use your gifting now you are looking to start anew.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I'm so glad you are there with your family......

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Robin. It's good that you are there with your family. That is what is the most important during these times.

robin ann mcintosh said...

thank you all, every bit of encouragement and kindness helps. thank you.

Ginnie said...

Dear Robin...I feel for you in your grief but know that your Grandma saw you as you are supposed to be...sober and loving. It must have been a great comfort to her.

Natasha said...

Oh I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and your family, that is hard...

Mim said...

Thanks for stopping by, and sorry to read about your family's loss. Being together should help and I hope you find some healing from your loved ones.

coolhntr said...

hugs...thinking of you.

Robin said...

Dearest little bird, no mere words of ours can help the sorrow, but know that you are in our thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I love how you use poetry to share those feelings with us when it must be so hard to do it in your own words.
*hugs*

. . . said...

Dear Robin, may you know that you are being held in the hearts of many. Sending love...

Mrs.French said...

Oh robin, I am so sorry...

 
Hit CountersHit Counters