Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, on Work & Integrity.

Howard Roark's advice...

to Peter Keating-
Never ask people about your work (33).

It's I who have destroyed you, by helping you (611).
general:
Show me your achievement- and the knowledge will give me courage for mine.

I am a man who does not exist for others.

I have come here to say that I do not recognize anyone's right to one minute of my life.... It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing.

Pain only goes down to a certain point.

To say 'I love you' one must know first how to say the 'I.'
Dominique comments on Roark's work:
There is not a person in New York City who should be allowed to live in this building (287).
Ellsworth Toohey:
A leash is only a rope with a noose on both ends.


I don't want to be on a leash, I want to be free. And I want to own
myself, and do what I love, I want to be my own boss and a free agent... it is not in my Pisces nature to be hemmed in by anything - be it a boyfriend, employment, location -

so?

so I am reintroducing myself to myself, and every day things become more clear.

<3>

7 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

yes- the leash analogy...love that. so true...

please sir said...

That is quite a statement and perplexing question. I don't want to be on a leash either but feel a need in order to survive and pay bills. I guess our quest is to break free each day...little by little.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

excellent quotes...sometimes it takes a while to get to know yourself...for some it's easier than for others--- thanks for your wonderful honesty

Milena said...

Oooh. I seriously flinched when i read "do not ask people about your work." That's a biggie. I have to have confidence in myself and not seek approbation from others to a degree that it stifles me.

Have you read Rilke's "letter to a young poet?" Do it. It will take a day. Along the lines of that quote.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

eek... The leash quote is on the mark. I agree wholeheartedly with Diana, we try to break free little by little every day!

Lydia said...

First, Milena's reading suggestion is one of my favorite (life-changing) books.
The leash thing I fully understand. After I was divorced from my first husband I stalwartly and steadfastly (sometimes just eeking by but always in my own place) clung to my independence. Glad I did that because after 15 years went by and I met Mike at work, suddenly becoming a partner in life seemed right.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ayn Rand! I completely credit "The Fountainhead," and my subsequent recollection of themes and poignant passages, with a sizable scholarship a group of three old English crows bestowed on me freshman year of college.

It was worth the 24 study hall hours senior year I spent devouring those pages.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters