Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Design for a Cause.




hello, world!

new project: Design w/a Cause.

Description:

Find a non-profit organization, or cause, to develop a poster, or series of posters for… Initially you will create a list of words that best describe what the organization or cause is about. Looking carefully at your list of words, select 3-5 that you feel have strong connotations.

Assignment:

Create a design using imagery based on the connotation of the word or words that relate to the essence of your cause. Your final layout will be suggested 16x20 poster and should include a possible headline and a logotype for your non-profit organization.

This project will require an extensive exploration of thumbnail indications.

· A minimum of 100 hand developed thumbnails (due this week)

· 6 hand developed rough sketches

· 3 semi-tight indications

· Final layout

Preliminary Research...

Organization:

826la

About:

Non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills. Helps teachers inspire students to write.

- Drop in tutoring (Monday through Thursday, 2:30 – 5:30).

- After school workshops

- In-schools tutoring

- Help for English Language learners

- Assistance with student publication

Services inspired by the belief that great leaps of learning can be inspired by one on one education, and strong writing skills are essential to future success.

Any ideas? I went to class yesterday armed with a boatload of stick figures. I want to play on the iconic 1950's classroom....

key words:

CULTIVATE CREATIVITY EDUCATION INNOVATION

brainstorming images, or what my professor calls "visual stable data":

- the yellow pencil w/green stripes and a red eraser
- chalk boards
- lined paper
- student desk
- detention lines
- lunch pales

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I miss school. I used to love design projects like this. Allows you to be so creative with no boundaries. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Katie said...

When I think of the 1950's, I always think of little girls with blonde bob haircuts and one side is always pinned back with a bow. They always have short dresses with short, puffy sleeves, black mary janes, and white bobby socks with lace on the folded over part. They're usually raising their hand or standing at a blackboard writing a sentence or a math problem. If that helps at all-it's just what I always picture in my mind. Can't wait to see what you have. Sounds kind of fun!

Anonymous said...

nice

. . . said...

omg, i'm jealous in the BEST possible way! i hope that you LOVE your class! please call so we can get together sometime when you are here in this fine city! ;)

Katelin said...

you are so creative, i love all your projects. i need to give myself a project...mmmm.

molly said...

hiya girl!!! this looks a little too much like WORK. ICK! just kiddin.

i'm still alive over here just piddlin around. send me your email - i lost all mine (again!)

what is going on in your world?? let's catch up (FINALLY!)

robin ann mcintosh said...

Katie - I love your image, thank you so much, you have such a creative mind!!

Miss "Molly" I will definitely write you an email : ) I've missed our chats.

Johanna... I will call!! Big big hug to the family!

<3 to all.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters