Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Augusten Burroughs, "Dry"

Sobriety:

All of a sudden, I feel like an emotional paraplegic. I feel that all of my gains and insights are based on control and denial. I'm worried that I'm so profoundly sick as to appear healthy and together.

Like cubic zirconium, I only look real. I'm an impostor. The fact is, I am not like other people.

Do you have friends like this? I do. I love it/hate it because it 's awesome/sucks. You get me?

The reason I know what we are to each other is because we fight freely and almost constantly, about even the smallest thing. In fact, once we didn't speak for an entire week because he didn't like the way I loaded his dishwasher...I can't decide if we're exact opposites, or somehow exactly the same except for minor cosmetic differences. I do know that all of his friends hate me and all of my friends hate him. We drive each other crazy in ways that nobody else can even touch. We never bore each other. And we both realize what a rare thing this is.

4 comments:

Katie said...

You just described my best friend and I. We've been friends for 10 years but only in the last 6 or 7 did we really get close. We fight and argue passionately about the stupidest things and make all of our other friends uncomfortable. They just don't get it. We can talk about anything and we can talk about it for hours. Our relationship is also very rare and sometimes, it takes one or both of us aback and we have to tell the other how important they are to the other.

Unknown said...

amazing post. a-mazing.

Anonymous said...

My sobriety broke. Sigh. :o(

Lydia said...

Actually, little bird, that is the way my marriage works much of the time. Your post gives me pause to consider this push/pull, laugh/frown, serious, teasing yo-yo existence.
Wanted you to know that my sobriety anniversary is this week so I'm attending to that is two posts, one today and one on Wednesday.
Thanks for being there!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters