Wednesday, November 12, 2008

guilt: the gift that keeps on giving.


While I work my eight to ten hour days, poor Sampson sits in his "house" - aka his bag, alone.

Is it true that dogs don't possess a sense of time passed?


Mum constantly comforts me with this absolving pearl. Personally, I think it smacks of suburban myth.

Any dog lovers, dog knowers, dog experts out there willing to set the record straight?


7 comments:

OmarSal said...

I remember reading that the perception of time is actually a very complex neurological ability that very few species poses in comparison (or on equal terms) with humans. "Time" passes differently for species, humans, that attribute a numerical representation to the past and present.

Joanna Goddard said...

i've never heard of that--so interesting!

wackyjackie said...

I think it may true for most pups (like hank). However, Sampson is half human... so I think he might know =(

Anonymous said...

my dog is fascinated by this tree in our yard & spends as much time as I'll let him "discovering" it everyday like he'd never seen it before in his life. Your mom might be right.

robin ann mcintosh said...

that's interesting... sometimes when I have an especially yummy treat for Sam (like my leftover $40 steak), he picks it up and just holds it in his mouth - and cries. and cries. and cries.

it's like some twisted form of canine masochism.

so maybe.

Anonymous said...

I want to believe it so I don't feel so guilty when I have to leave my dog at home. Sampson is a cutie!

Kylie

Lydia said...

Classical music. That was always my trick when I worked and had to leave the pets. Our first Old English Sheepdog still ate the linoleum in the laundry room, however. But I've read many reports that classical music soothes those lonely animals like nothing else can.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters