Tuesday, November 25, 2008

like a writer.


Selecting A Reader

First, I would have her be beautiful,
and walking carefully up on my poetry
at the loneliest moment of an afternoon,
her hair still damp at the neck
from washing it. She should be wearing
a raincoat, an old one, dirty
from not having money enough for the cleaners.
She will take out her glasses, and there
in the bookstore, she will thumb
over my poems, then put the book back
up on its shelf. She will say to herself,
"For that kind of money, I can get
my raincoat cleaned." And she will.


Ted Kooser

3 comments:

Lydia said...

Fabulous!
This is true: when I lived alone in Portland in 1983 I was so broke that I couldn't afford to clean my raincoat. Since, in those days, I hung out in bars after work, it was rank with smoke. It was black so didn't show the dirt but it was dirty. For Christmas I treated myself to the dry-cleaning of that one item. The secretary in the office across the hall from where I worked gave me a 90-day supply of multi-vitamins for Christmas the same day the coat was ready for pick up. It was a great day......

Britt said...

Beautiful photo :)

Anonymous said...

made me smile...

 
Hit CountersHit Counters