sampson and I embarked on a neighborhood lights tour. just down the street we found this... conversation piece?
this is a house sized mock snow globe....
the square footage alone puts my studio to shame!
where do you all stand on christmas lights? less is more or more is less?
9 comments:
Anonymous
said...
A few years ago I suggested skipping the Christmas lights would be a way to save money on the electric bill as well as an environmentally responsible move considering we are suffering through an energy crisis.
Rather than being hailed as a prudent financial planner and a concerned citizen, I was merely viewed as a joyless Scrooge.
I can't win...
In a related story, one of the gaudier displays in my neighborhood features a life-size Santa and reindeer atop the roof of a home. It seemed odd to me this fat, short-legged reindeer was white with brown spots. I'm no authority on reindeer, but I was pretty sure I'd never seen one that looked like this on all the Christmas specials and Discovery Channel shows I'd watched over the years.
Sure enough, upon closer inspection, the "reindeer" was clearly a cow with antlers fastened to its head. I have no idea what occasion calls for owning a giant illuminated cow, but apparently this guy had one laying around just in case.
I love the lights and the decorations. Your wonderful photos remind me of how even commercialized Christmas stuff can capture genuine joy when in the right hands. These really are sweet pictures.
I love the lights. I think for a few days one week of the year, it's cool. If the joy they communicate can help people feel good about themselves and feel kind, then it's worth the energy.
I am with all of you, I think less is more - but Sandy, good point, there is joy even in the most commercial display... even if we have to strap antlers to barnyard animals, there is joy!
Thanks for your visit. It's definitely milder where you are than here in Ontario. And looks like you're getting out to enjoy it - lovely shots, a very cool blog!
I saw a huge snow globe like this too. I can't stand inflatable christmas characters. Some nice lights are good. I guess that means I'm more minimalist when it comes to lights :)
I like white lights. I don't own any of those weird deer lawn ornaments but one year I was driving down the street & there was a herd of live deer wandering among the lighted deer & I have never wished more that I could know what animals were thinking.
I'm a traditionalist, I like twinkly white lights, evergreens, fancy bows. I'm not favor of anything that requires it's own motor to keep it going, or special aparatud to keep it in place on the roof, etc.
Right now my lit garland on my balcony is covered with snow and I can't go out and shake it off because I put the Christmas tree right in front of the French doors!
9 comments:
A few years ago I suggested skipping the Christmas lights would be a way to save money on the electric bill as well as an environmentally responsible move considering we are suffering through an energy crisis.
Rather than being hailed as a prudent financial planner and a concerned citizen, I was merely viewed as a joyless Scrooge.
I can't win...
In a related story, one of the gaudier displays in my neighborhood features a life-size Santa and reindeer atop the roof of a home. It seemed odd to me this fat, short-legged reindeer was white with brown spots. I'm no authority on reindeer, but I was pretty sure I'd never seen one that looked like this on all the Christmas specials and Discovery Channel shows I'd watched over the years.
Sure enough, upon closer inspection, the "reindeer" was clearly a cow with antlers fastened to its head. I have no idea what occasion calls for owning a giant illuminated cow, but apparently this guy had one laying around just in case.
I usually will put up a strand or two around the porch, but this year I was so unfocused that I ran out of time. :-(
I think there is a line people cross too much though. Less is usually more.
I love the lights and the decorations. Your wonderful photos remind me of how even commercialized Christmas stuff can capture genuine joy when in the right hands. These really are sweet pictures.
I love the lights. I think for a few days one week of the year, it's cool. If the joy they communicate can help people feel good about themselves and feel kind, then it's worth the energy.
I am with all of you, I think less is more - but Sandy, good point, there is joy even in the most commercial display... even if we have to strap antlers to barnyard animals, there is joy!
Thanks for your visit. It's definitely milder where you are than here in Ontario. And looks like you're getting out to enjoy it - lovely shots, a very cool blog!
I saw a huge snow globe like this too. I can't stand inflatable christmas characters. Some nice lights are good. I guess that means I'm more minimalist when it comes to lights :)
I like white lights. I don't own any of those weird deer lawn ornaments but one year I was driving down the street & there was a herd of live deer wandering among the lighted deer & I have never wished more that I could know what animals were thinking.
I'm a traditionalist, I like twinkly white lights, evergreens, fancy bows. I'm not favor of anything that requires it's own motor to keep it going, or special aparatud to keep it in place on the roof, etc.
Right now my lit garland on my balcony is covered with snow and I can't go out and shake it off because I put the Christmas tree right in front of the French doors!
I think more is more, but only if it is done tastefully. I am not big on the inflatable decorations either.
Post a Comment