Wednesday, December 10, 2008

speaking of which,

project # 3: on strings.
our professor had us invent a specialty shop - we could choose anything we wanted... I chose mobiles. I named my store "on strings." we had to create an logo/identity system.

“A mobile is a very modest thing.” –Alexander Calder

Graphic design weds the logical to the artistic. Designers must use reason to achieve their desired goal, but not without exercising creativity and aesthetic consideration. Mobiles echo this fragile balancing act. Hanging structures must subscribe to mathematical laws, specifically rules of weight, balance, and suspension. Despite these considerations, however, mobiles are not machines - beauty and form are of utmost importance. To create something floating yet grounded, stable yet dynamic, functional yet beautiful - is no easy feat.

I have chosen the mobile as my specialty item because I believe these hanging structures are of signal importance, both figurative and literal. Mobiles offer a sliver of stability & beauty in a chaotic, often ugly world. If this is too hopeful, too elusive, mobiles at the very least offer the idea of stability & beauty, reminding us of basic priorities (balance, beauty, stability). These whimsical, suspended forms allow us control in an uncontrollable world, the chance at reciprocity and balance among the chaos and the noise.

This project’s path reflects a mobile’s very construction. Creating “On Strings” has been a complex, convoluted process, yet surprisingly simple- even “modest”- in its result.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

my dear Robin,
As always, you have the perfect way with words. A perfect example of this is "Graphic design weds the logical to the artistic." That made my day. I love your On Strings concept and the design is sweet AND modern-- good combination.
Keep up the good work, sister!
xo

OmarSal said...

I think this design is beautiful, robin. A specialty shop would be privileged to have such a clever design. The ballerina conveys a delicate elegance, which is what I associate mobiles with. I think it's perfect. A mobile dances above the ground, on strings.

Katelin said...

i love the design so much it's adorable and fun.

robin ann mcintosh said...

thank you kelly! that's a big compliment, especially coming from someone as talented as yourself.

robin ann mcintosh said...

hey, katelin, thanks!!

Anonymous said...

...just right of weird and down the street from crazy.

Hey, maybe that's where you left your portfolio!

Great job, kid. Thank God you didn't listen to that buffoon who was pushing the cartoon bee angle. You made the right choice and you made the most of it.

Lydia said...

Marvelous project. My mind is dancing now and not just from visualizing the beautiful image of the ballerina on strings. She is set into motion by your description, which is stunning.

I have a mobile in a room upstairs that I got at Lake Tahoe when I was in college. It's never been packed away, no matter where I lived. So when you say that "these hanging structures are of signal importance..." I absolutely know what you mean. I must admit I never thought of a mobile in this way, though, and thank you for such a fresh look at an old friend.

Anonymous said...

i think it's perfect...

robin ann mcintosh said...

thank you :)

lydia, thank you so much, I wanted to reflect the motion & dynamism of a mobile.

matt - you might be on to something.

square peg - always great to hear from you , my dear, thank you :)

Sian said...

I think you have struck just the right note both in your design and in your write up.

Part of the joy of being a teacher is bright and responsive students. You must give your teachers much joy.

. . . said...

looks fabulous!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters