Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I, too, sing America.


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


Langston Hughes.

7 comments:

Katelin said...

this almost made me cry. i love this.

Sarakastic said...

best poster I've seen in awhile...

Lydia said...

That's wonderful!

Anonymous said...

how wonderful to live to see this...

robin ann mcintosh said...

another one from christopher david ryan :)

SandyCarlson said...

This is an awesome graphic. And the poem is perfect. Obama reads Hughes.

Sian said...

I read this when I was a young girl and was shocked when I found out what it meant. This was back before anybody seemed to really care that Nelson Mandela was still in prison.

I never thought I would see the day. Well Done America!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters