Thursday, January 29, 2009

still thinking about canada.

ontario's corn fields and cows

from one of Lydia's comments,
Letters to a Young Poet, Rilke.

Whoever looks seriously will find that neither for death, which is difficult, nor for difficult love has any clarification, any solution, any hint of a path been perceived; and for both these tasks, which we carry wrapped up and hand on without opening, there is not general, agreed-upon rule that can be discovered.

But in the same measure in which we begin to test life as individuals, these great Things will come to meet us, the individuals, with greater intimacy.

The claims that the difficult work of love makes upon our development are greater than life, and we, as beginners, are not equal to them.

But if we nevertheless endure and take this love upon us as burden and apprenticeship, instead of losing ourselves in the whole easy and frivolous game behind which people have hidden from the most solemn solemnity of their being, - then a small advance and a lightening will perhaps be perceptible to those who come long after us. That would be much.



5 comments:

Paul Pincus said...

beautiful post. gorgeous image! cheers, -p.p.

amy turn sharp said...

lovely and yes- keep me here- it is a gorgeous space my dear! xoxoxo

Lydia said...

O, I love being on your list; thanks so much. This beautiful golden image is what I'll picture from now on when I read that passage in Letters...
(The first time I saw big gold rolled-up haystacks was in Canada, outside Calgary. This shot reminded me of that. Since then local farmers have used rolls as well as square haystacks, but there's no comparison for beauty in my mind-the rolled ones win.)

Anonymous said...

I would not have thought of the learning of love in this way before reading this. It reminds me of Rupert Sheldrake's M-fields (or "quantum metaphysics").

Rosemary/sonrie said...

Please keep me here! It is nice to be recognized. Thanks! oh- and I found a site once that listed all of Rilke's "Letters to a Young Poet" -- they are quite amazing.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters