Tuesday, February 24, 2009

::::

What She Was Wearing

by Denver Butson

this is my suicide dress
she told him
I only wear it on days
when I’m afraid
I might kill myself
if I don’t wear it

you’ve been wearing it
every day since we met

he said

and these are my arson gloves
so you don’t set fire to something?

he asked

exactly

and this is my terrorism lipstick
my assault and battery eyeliner
my armed robbery boots

I’d like to undress you he said
but would that make me an accomplice?

and today she said I’m wearing
my infidelity underwear
so don’t get any ideas

and she put on her nervous breakdown hat
and walked out the door

8 comments:

secretfragileskies said...

just amazing.

Anonymous said...

Blows me away, don't know him now, but I will

Robin said...

What a great poem, thank you for sharing it.

Lydia said...

This is weird......I just heard Garrison Keillor read this poem on NPR yesterday while I was driving Bonbon to the vet. I didn't hear the poet's name and am so glad you posted it. Amazing poem!

Katelin said...

this is quite interesting, i like it though.


oh and ps. those nintendo emails you keep getting are from me, so hopefully you can come friday! :)

wackyjackie said...

love that poem. !!

robin ann mcintosh said...

pete recommended it! he has always had the best taste in literature, in my opinion :)

Claire said...

Oooh. This I like a lot.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters