A VALEDICTION FORBIDDING MOURNING. by John Donne AS virtuous men pass mildly away, And whisper to their souls to go, Whilst some of their sad friends do say, "Now his breath goes," and some say, "No." So let us melt, and make no noise, 5 No tear-floods, nor sigh-tempests move ; 'Twere profanation of our joys To tell the laity our love. Moving of th' earth brings harms and fears ; Men reckon what it did, and meant ; 10 But trepidation of the spheres, Though greater far, is innocent. Dull sublunary lovers' love —Whose soul is sense—cannot admit Of absence, 'cause it doth remove 15 The thing which elemented it. But we by a love so much refined, That ourselves know not what it is, Inter-assurèd of the mind, Care less, eyes, lips and hands to miss. 20 Our two souls therefore, which are one, Though I must go, endure not yet A breach, but an expansion, Like gold to aery thinness beat. If they be two, they are two so 25 As stiff twin compasses are two ; Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show To move, but doth, if th' other do. And though it in the centre sit, Yet, when the other far doth roam, 30 It leans, and hearkens after it, And grows erect, as that comes home. Such wilt thou be to me, who must, Like th' other foot, obliquely run ; Thy firmness makes my circle just, 35 And makes me end where I begun. |
5 comments:
Makes me so sad.
I saw my doctor today and mentioned that I'd seen an obit in our local paper with thanks to him and his wife for all they did. He hadn't seen the obit. But we talked a bit about the woman, who I knew from her former business, and about how her husband is mourning. We talked about death, how we're all moving toward it.
So this post rather wrapped up the day for me. ((hug))
beautiful. I love John Donne.
You have a lovely blog. I am not familiar with John Donne, but this piece is quite lovely.
Nice one.
But hey... No update for a long time. I like your blog. Keep us updated.. Thanks!
Beautiful piece.
Post a Comment