Monday, April 13, 2009

from an interview with hempel.

RH: In a recent interview with The Believer, you spoke about the lyrical, poetic quality of your work. Can you tell us what importance poetry has played in your writing career, and what can be taken from it? I get the sense a lot of younger writers don't spend a lot of time with poetry. Is that to their detriment?

AH: Poetry is the biggest help in writing stories that I know. You learn so much about rhythm and acoustics and compression and selectivity. No wasted words, no "furniture moving." I read and re-read certain contemporary poets all the time. Look at John Rybicki out in Michigan, someone I quote often. The passion is palpable, the heartbreak--you have to read his new book, WE BED DOWN INTO WATER, to see what a strong man does with soul-shattering grief. I find I bring more poetry into my writing classes than fiction.

this is what I think, too! i'm feeling validated!

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I feel validated too!
My own poetry seems to have gone underground where I cannot tap into it. I signed up with this group (ReadWritePoem) to write a poem a day prompted by them for April Poetry Month but haven't even tried.....very lame of me. However, Freckled Writer is blowing me away with her new poems each day. Check this one out: Venus Rising.

I'll read all about Hempel tomorrow.....

robin ann mcintosh said...

lydia, you have to let me know as soon as you read hempel, asap & immediately (can I make it any more extreme??) - from reading your beautiful and understated poetry I think you are going to fall in love.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters