Tuesday, July 29, 2008

funny about money

Week six of the Artist’s Way: Recovering a Sense of Abundance.

For many of us, raised to believe that money is the real source of security, a dependence on God feels foolhardy, suicidal, even laughable (105).


I have been forced into focus and frugality. Due to my current financial situation – no money – I have had no choice but to trust in a better future. The only alternative is misery, sheer desperation, and lots and lots of KrispyKreme.

Being with Omar for two weeks straight, and listening to him talk about employment, finances, jobs, etc., I realized how my go-to mindset is the happy optimist. Omar’s is the grumpy optimist bordering on pessimist.

I was raised to believe the money will always come… to desire it belies greed while to earn it demonstrates work ethic. To be materialistic is to be shallow, while to be a modest earner and saver is wholesome and good.

So that is my starting place, my childhood “core” beliefs.

Now how about art and money?


Cameron writes,


what we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us (108).

Is the economy too bad, too scary, too weak to feel this way? I want to write, but how can I write and earn? Do any of you have suggestions about pursuing your passion??


help!

No comments:

 
Hit CountersHit Counters