Tuesday, March 25, 2008

25: earth hour



So I try to “go green” as often as I can.

The Prius is my saving grace – I figure my football shaped electric car earns me the right to occasionally flick a cigarette, or throw a pop can in the regular trash. BUT NO! I don’t want to have the just-this-once attitude anymore. It’s high time I care for the world around me - smell the organic coffee and face the new age music.

FIRST, a short trip down memory lane – I think I was in kindergarten -


Dad, Cassie and I on the boat,
Jupiter’s turquoise water shining beneath us,
Just ate a popsicle bought at Barnacle Bobs (for those of you who don’t know, it’s a floating restaurant, only to be rivaled by Water Weenies)
I leaned over the greenish 70’s paneling,
About to throw my popsicle into the water -
“STOP!”
My Dad grabs my hand and glares at me–
“what?” I asked.
“NEVER litter.”
“It’s wood though, trees are wood, too!”
“Robin, think about it this way: what if every person in the entire world threw their sticks into the water?? What would happen then?”
I imagined tidal waves of popsicle sticks; splintering the fish, choking the drains, skewering
the swimmers and snagging the water-skiers… you get the idea.

My dad looked at me. “That’s what I thought.”

I don’t want to live in a world of trash – and I don’t want my friends and family living there, either.

My first order of green is posting about “earth hour”.

Check out the link here:

http://www.earthhour.org/

worldwide people are shutting off their lights for one hour on March 29th - 8pm.

I think Sampson and I can handle this. What about you?

.................

one more thing - coming from a family of four CANADIAN girls, I find this blog really fun to read:

http://fiveblondes.com/

check out the FAQ section... sound familiar? thought it would be appreciated!

13 comments:

OmarSal said...

I might get scared

wackyjackie said...

hahah to omar,
i would like it if you included picking up that poop in the middle of a perfectly good side walk.
= ]
haha i remember dad saying that, so great.

paz said...

i love yoru little story. i miss you.

Anonymous said...

Right back at you--little bird! Hope you enjoy blogging.

Tom Shea said...

your blog is so much better than mine. im gonna do a whole makeover soon and write better!

wackyjackie said...

Wow I love that new heading. How perfect. I am going to check out all your websites now.
Love you, J

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks you guys! i appreciate it, i've never designed anything before, so it's great to get compliments:)

jackie, call me when cassie gets in.

love to all.

robin ann mcintosh said...

thanks you guys! i appreciate it, i've never designed anything before, so it's great to get compliments:)

jackie, call me when cassie gets in.

love to all.

Anonymous said...

People always make fun of me when we are hiking & I will carry their trash so they won't liter, but I have to do something until I can afford a football shaped car.

Jen said...

I just picked up some small dog poop - does that count? I only hope that the bags are biodegradeable
love from m

OmarSal said...

that's a good point. Unless the dog bags are biodegradable, one does more harm, environmentally, than simply letting the poop simmer in the sunlight.

wackyjackie said...

hahah that is disgusting oms, you almost took that to a robin level with the description...

robin ann mcintosh said...

um, excuse me? ?




that's not even CLOSE to my level.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters