Wednesday, April 2, 2008

1st kindness: hanging out with ernie


i spent the entire day learning accounting-stuff with the bookkeeper of my former employer: sixty year old ernie. 

i don't necessarily need this job. and i get the feeling ernster doesn't necessarily need my assistance. 

but i do know this: he lives alone and he is excited to pass his skills onto someone young and foolish enough to learn them. he elected me a few months ago, but i always presented an excuse. now that i quit my job, guess what? no readily available excuse! 

it is kind of him to take me under his wing. we spent 1/4 of the day working and 3/4ths eating pumpkin pie (sugarless) with cool whip (low fat) and gossiping about our coworkers. 

when he was fiddling at the computer i watered his plants. i'm almost positive he didn't notice. so this is my first deed of the month! 

rating: 5*

*rating system is 1 through 10, 1 is cruel and 10 is mother teresa. 


11 comments:

wackyjackie said...

i like it. great project for the month. we should ad this to our blog

Anonymous said...

Decent rating. I maybe would give it a 6. Keeping a lonely older person company and watering his plants maybe warrants a 6.

Pammie said...

Thank you for coming by and visiting my blog :)

molly said...

I love spending time with older folk learning & listening :) LOVELY! and cool mo deed (!)..lol. i've been a most spoiled brat all my life so learning how to share loving kindness WITHOUT notice or praise is so great!

Jess said...

That's a good start. I am excited to hear about the upcoming days.

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Sweet! I love imposing daily photography on people :o) hehe

Was he teaching you Quickbooks....that's what I do accounting with here at work....BOR.ING!! haha

I really like what you put together as a project!

Dolce said...

It's more than a 5. You helping an old man out. I'm sure he loved it!

robin ann mcintosh said...

thank you everyone! you are too kind. i'm boosting my rating to a six...!

Greg C said...

Great idea. I would give myself a 6 or 7 today and I already did something kind.

Jen said...

I love the random acts of kindness idea Robin and will add this to my blog tomorrow. Without rating them though- too much pressure.
love you mmm

Robyn McMaster, PhD said...

Robin, this post is an amazing window into your heart and mind. Very inspiring!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters