Thursday, April 3, 2008

2nd kindness: big tip at the parlor

today i left a big tip for the teenager who served me my soft serve. she was nice with a high pitched giggle- i felt she deserved more than the nickels and dimes filling up her "college fund" jar. rating? i'll give it a 4. 


THE EMPEROR OF ICE CREAM 

Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
As they are used to wear, and let the boys
Bring flowers in last month's newspapers.
Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
On which she embroidered fantails once
And spread it so as to cover her face.
If her horny feet protrude, they come
To show how cold she is, and dumb.
Let the lamp affix its beam.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

-- Wallace Stevens


i also want to add, this month is Sexual Assault Awareness Month - just another reason to keep this kindness project rolling!


12 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful blog. Thanks for the heads up about the Sexual Assault Awareness.

Have a wonderful day!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

"If her horny feet protrude".....interesting line....okay, funny to me only probably!

Making up for one lousy tipper at a time....man, that'll take forever :o)

Dolce said...

I want ice cream SO bad right now. Is 10am too early?

Anonymous said...

That was definitely a good act of kindness. I try to tip well. But now you got me thinking of ice cream and I want it so bad.

Jess said...

That is a great thing to do. And a FABULOUS poem--one of my favorites from high school!

wackyjackie said...

I like this act a lot, because I worked in a couple of icecream stores and no how brutal the pay can be. I want to join your theme. We should make our blog soon ! =)
I also want to come visit you. I am going to look at trains. <3

wackyjackie said...

I like this act a lot, because I worked in a couple of icecream stores and no how brutal the pay can be. I want to join your theme. We should make our blog soon ! =)
I also want to come visit you. I am going to look at trains. <3

wackyjackie said...

I like this act a lot, because I worked in a couple of icecream stores and no how brutal the pay can be. I want to join your theme. We should make our blog soon ! =)
I also want to come visit you. I am going to look at trains. <3

robin ann mcintosh said...

ha, I want ice cream too! 10 am? Try 8 am. I think that's my earliest ice cream time.

to wanderer - i also love the horny feet, makes me want to keep up on pedicures i can't afford. ha.

jackie - you have to visit asap, i miss you so much, and love you - munchkin. we can meet in LA too if you want?

OmarSal said...

Ice cream at 8am...typical!

Robin said...

If you can have yogurt for breakfast, why not ice cream?

I also tend to tip well at little mom & pop shops like that. I remember when I was a high-schooler (and college girl) on the other side of the counter, working hard for minimum wage.

Thanks for the Wallace Stevens poem. He lived not far from where I live now, and there is even a walking tour that follows his daily commute (he walked to work at The Hartford Insurance Co). He composed his poetry while walking this same route each day. His house is here: http://historicbuildingsct.blogspot.com/2007/12/wallace-stevens-house-1920.html

robin ann mcintosh said...

are you kidding?? that's amazing!! i love his poetry, have been a fan for a long, long time. thanks so much for the link - and the comment!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters