Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I have a brown wall...


cream...

simple...

themed set of six...

so many options!

I need help decorating my... tiny tiny tiny but beautiful & lovely apartment.

I painted one of my 4 walls "Van Buren" brown.

(the old bird would have posted it, but with my stalker issues... you understand.)

and now I am at a loss! I want to showcase my infantile art collection, but I am not sure a) which prints to put up, and b) how to arrange.

Any suggestions?

scraps from my afternoon net surfing, mostly from domino:

"Use simple modern frames—but always different, to avoid that gallery look." —Allegra Hicks

Steven Gambrell favors painted frames. Mix and match with unframed but similar art.

"Grand old oil paintings often look great out of their frames."
—Allegra Hicks

According to Miles Redd, you should frame art "however the picture dictates, but I love French mats."


The secret to displaying artwork? "Big mats and snappy but simple modern frames."

11 comments:

Robin said...

Don't listen to any of the designers, they often contradict each other and themselves.

Lay out all the pieces in a big flat space - the floor, your bed, whatever. I wouldn't worry about using the same frames - it limits you in the future - what if you buy a new piece but the frame you want is no longer available? You don't want to have to reframe everything. Move and edit until you see what you like, then hang them up. And remember, hang them 6inches lower than you think they should be and they will be perfect.

Anonymous said...

I like that bottom photo best--I like to hang the photos of different sizes at different levels and spaced differently. Of course, that could just be because I'm lazy and don't like measuring, and that even when I do measure it still seems like one picture is slightly higher/lower than the one next to it. I also like all of the frames to be the same color (but different styles are okay). That way at least I have some sort of uniformity.

Anonymous said...

ooh, i LOOOOOVE the ochre-y color and white with that brown. my suggestion is to stick with that color combo-- it's beautiful! i'd do just about anything for that lamp. swwon!

please sir said...

I like the idea of modern frames. If you have different sized prints - mix it up! If you need organize you could have different frames, but all the same color - like white. Good luck!

molly said...

painting is sooooo therapeutic!! and decorating, although stressful sometimes, is a great creative outlet. GOOD FOR YOU.. fun fun huh. enjoy! let me know how it turns out.

Unknown said...

ooooh. love the brown. i like what amy and robin said about framing and hanging art. this go around, i'm hanging art in kind of a salon-haphazardly fashion with a mix of frames as well as non-framed canvases. i think it really depends on the space and what kind of mood you're trying to create....for me, identical frames and straight lines create a cooler space. this is nice for a formal feel or where you're trying to create order. just a few thoughts. go crazy, sister!
xo
sorry you are dealing with a stalker. be safe. and take good care. {i'm talking from experience.}

Mrs.French said...

I love the way artwork looks on a dramatically colorful wall..I don't think you can go wrong with any of these!

Katelin said...

okay i love all of these looks. you have such unique and fun style, i love it.

robin ann mcintosh said...

holy, you guys are the best!!

this is fantastic advice. thanks for taking the time to help me out, I will definitely let you know what I end up doing.

so true about formal vs. informal, maybe I should wait until the rest of the apt. takes shape...?

again, I will post some photos, and let you know!

Lydia said...

Stalker issues.... still? Be safe, little bird.
I adore the look described in the Allegra Hicks quote, and have a large, old oil portrait of my uncle done just before he died in a car accident at age 15 (in the 1920's). He's wearing a black uniform of some type and is holding this old leather football...
No frame, sitting on top of the old upright piano in our living room - is commanding and special.

Anonymous said...

My name is Anne Gallagher and i would like to show you my personal experience with Allegra.

I have taken for 3 months. I am 43 years old. Forgot that last year my legs ached after taking Allegra, it wasn't until yesterday that I remembered that this same thing happened last year. I stopped Allegra 3 days ago and my aches are slowly starting to go away. My insurance denied Zyrtec. I don't know if they are the same, but I would never take Allegra again.

Side Effects :
Lower leg pain from the back of my knee to my ankle. Both legs ached and felt very stiff.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Anne Gallagher

 
Hit CountersHit Counters