Friday, November 21, 2008

take up a blade of grass and use it as a golden Buddha 16 feet high.


the practice of Zen as a non-intellectual way of life.

Buddhist teaching & meditation practice is seeping into my everyday & my now. This only happened when I stopped reading and started acting… specifically, when I began daily meditation.

Things about Zen Buddhism (as opposed to other branches) I try and hold close:

Everything there is implies everything else. And all those other things… in turn imply each individual object…. (rough sketch: mutual interdependence).

And your life, however short, everything depends on it. If that did not happen, nothing would happen. In this sense, the whole world bears your signature. It would not be the same world… if it weren’t for you (Allan Watts).

A world where there is a you implies there is a me. And a world with a me means a world with a you. You cannot separate me from you or you from me, just as you can’t separate my hands from my feet (me, my understanding).

Zen mentality represented simply:

Student:
mountains and hills… are they not all forms of the body of Buddha?

Zen master: yes they are. But it’s a pity to say so.

... which shuts this bird up. Happy Friday to you all!

written for omy!!! oobiedoobieboo.

7 comments:

Sian said...

It is a shame I am so lax about meditating as I always feel the better for it.

Hope you feel really well very soon :o)

Anonymous said...

mmmm, i like these. perhaps they will help motivate me in my own meditation practice...

Anonymous said...

Very nice to read your zen philosophy here - thank you.

Lydia said...

Meditation is everything for me when I meditate. Thanks for reminding me that I'm missing my everything.

Zen and Mozart, Mozart and Zen. They were my "meetings" in my first year of sobriety, and still define my serenity.

please sir said...

Lovely reflection...

OmarSal said...

Very cool to see you blogging about your adventures/path through Zen Buddhism. There is much we will need to discuss in the future. Enjoyed the shout out.

Mrs.French said...

good for you! and so inspirational...I used to meditate daily...I have fallen away from this and miss it so much. After reading this I am reminded that I need to set all things aside and take some time to do it. xo t

 
Hit CountersHit Counters