Wednesday, February 4, 2009

never have I ever had a one night stand.


san francisco, alamo square park, the shoe garden.

Billy Collins, review of Donald Hall.

In a review of Hall's recent Selected Poems, Billy Collins wrote in the Washington Post:
Hall has long been placed in the Frostian tradition of the plainspoken rural poet. His reliance on simple, concrete diction and the no-nonsense sequence of the declarative sentence gives his poems steadiness and imbues them with a tone of sincere authority. It is a kind of simplicity that succeeds in engaging the reader in the first few lines.

Safe Sex

::::: Donald Hall


If he and she do not know each other, and feel confident
they will not meet again; if he avoids affectionate words;

if she has grown insensible skin under skin; if they desire
only the tribute of another’s cry; if they employ each other

as revenge on old lovers or families of entitlement and steel—
then there will be no betrayals, no letters returned unread,

no frenzy, no hurled words of permanent humiliation,
no trembling days, no vomit at midnight, no repeated

apparition of a body floating face-down at the pond’s edge

5 comments:

Lydia said...

....and I had too many. This poem places a little dignity into a memory of a time I'd rather not remember.

We each are about to drop out of sight in our Followers lists, as soon as the next followers sign on. Personally, I wish Blogger wouldn't do this. If you figure out a way to maintain all the photos of your Followers please let me know. :)

Lydia said...

I hate when I do this, leave two comments.....That is a perfectly enchanting photo, Little Bird!

Anonymous said...

A terrific mix - the shoe, the review, the poem. A bit startling to read about him in the context of Frost (a huge fave of mine) and then read the poem on a subject I feel fairly confident in saying that Frost would not have tackled... But of course, re-reading the review's choice of words and phrases, it makes more sense, a kind of sense. Really enjoyed this post (as I regularly do)

secretfragileskies said...

beautiful pairing of photo/poem.

Anonymous said...

wow! that poem was absolutely beautiful. i've been a serial monogamist for way too long and must admit that i may have to indulge in a couple one night stands when i travel to europe this spring. pourquoi pas? :)

 
Hit CountersHit Counters