Tuesday, April 29, 2008

i'm a woman, hear me purr - kindness #27&28

16 comments:

Britt said...

I could go on and on and on and on about this topic, but you covered the highs nicely. I say call him up and ask for your damn keys back! Screw politeness, he's got your key!

Sizzle said...

Have you seen that show, Real Wives of Orange County or whatever it is called? Not sure if they would fit nicely in your list! ;) (To be fair, I've only seen it once so...)

You can link to me whenever you like.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing.

please sir said...

Great post - I think real men aren't scared to have a real woman with opinions and success. What probably scares them the most is that as an independant person you don't need them and can survive on your own.

please sir said...

Great post - I think real men aren't scared to have a real woman with opinions and success. What probably scares them the most is that as an independant person you don't need them and can survive on your own.

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why if a guy ever calls me a b___ I just smile & say thank you. I think this is something that most women wonder about but very few can write about as eloquently as you just did.

Dolce said...

Great Expectations is such a great novel. I always felt for Estella -so abused and neglected. I think all women are a little bit of her. We thrive on the desire of others.

OmarSal said...

Your fellow blogger has the name "Robin" as well? Is it the Robin that sometimes comments on your blog? Forgive me if I just made things awkward. It's a great post!

Robin said...

Even we women are 51% of the population, we still position ourselves as the minority in work, in life, in love. I think we tend to look to other women to validate the decisions we make that make us stronger, because we respond to the strengths we see or wish to see in ourselves. And then we look to men to validate our femininity because it is easier to get them to respond positively to that than to our other strengths. We perpetuate our own girliness. It makes for a vicious cycle of game-playing.

ps - Omarsal, she's referring to Sizzle's original post (see 2nd paragraph of Robin's post). But thank you for thinking that was me!

OmarSal said...

You're welcome, Robin. I read this post from my phone and didn't realize that Robin's (a little bird) opening paragraph refered to the "sizzle link" below. I thought that link was simply the pink title from the mystery girl's blog entry Robin was excerpting. I actually enjoyed the fact that that confusion happend because the first time I read it I believed you were the author. I remember thinking, "mmm...this is an interesting person (the posts author); I can understand why Robin (a little bird) likes her." After Robin (little bird) told me that she wrote the post, I reread the blog entry and interpreted it differently. My own confusion awarded me the pleasure of reading the post while imagining two different authors with the same name. It was a unique strangeness known only to me, a result of my own misinterpretation.

robin ann mcintosh said...

you are a crazy bastid, i love you, my omy.

Dana May said...

Good girls are:
- polite
- smiling
- soft spoken
- cardigan and skirt wearing
- compliant
- trophy wives
- living in orange county
- relationship/ family oriented
- sugar and spice, and everything nice

I am happy that you touched on the double standards that arise from polarized gender roles, like in your example of male aggression being prized as oppose to female aggression. You can look at the democratic election and see how people do not see any problem making sexist assumptions and attacks against a woman who dares run for a position of power in this country, traditionally reserved only for men.

Women are kept in these passive "girl" positions not just by their own choosing, but because they are repeatedly punished and conditioned to stay in these roles if they tread outside of them. I have often risked losing the validation of womanness by doing, well, a lot of things, including being assertive and abiding by the gender roles socially prescribed to my sex. In fact, many men and women would consider me less "womanly" or "feminine" just because of them, which exposes how narrow these definitions have been set in our culture, and how much work is yet to be done before women like you have the nerve to just yell at their ex-boyfriends when they are being immature pricks and get their damn keys and shoes back.

"And f*ck, if I have to go on ONE MORE BAD DATE, I might become a lesbian.

Seriously."

It takes more than a bad history with men to eat pussy, Robin.

robin ann mcintosh said...

dana!! i love your crazy boldness. do you believe in bisexuality? most of my friends - in california - claim bisexuality, and it's sending me for a loop....

... love to you, my little feisty redhead.

Dana May said...

I "believe" in bisexuality (its not like the tooth fairy or God), I am just more precautious of labels these days. We will have to discuss it sometime.

Have fun in May!

Lani said...

Hey there :) Thought it was about time I delurked...I recently started reading your blog and I love it!

Beautiful photo btw - do you know what kind of lens was used? Did you add any after-effects?

robin ann mcintosh said...

hi! thanks so much for the kind words, I really appreciate it. And I just checked out your blog - it's awesome, I LOVE the palette you use!

no lens, I have a crappy canon elf digital camera - oh,actually in my iphoto i think i changed the coloring to "antique".


hope that helps :) now I'm off to read your blog!

 
Hit CountersHit Counters