Saturday, June 21, 2008

budding

15 comments:

Lydia said...

Robin,
So interesting you'd be doing this right now. ThisTimeThisSpace blog started collecting readers' affirmations last month. Click on the paintbrush icon to read submissions so far.
http://thistimethisspace.com/

Unknown said...

Oh yes I use affirmations. Those negative voices have taken me years to even hear! Some of the ones I use...

1. Even though I feel ... I deeply and profoundly love and accept my self

2. I am safe

3. I am not alone, God is with me

4. I am human, I do not have to be perfect

Just a few :)

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

I would say that I rely rather heavily on affirmations, although I can't think of one that I've made up on my own.

- You must take the first step in order to get to the second one. (I think about this a lot)

- What other people think of my is none of my concern. (For those who may not have such nice things to say)

- I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it people like me! haha (that was a joke one, but effective)

Anonymous said...

My psych doc is big on "cognitive therapy," which is the fancy-schmancy sort of affirmations doctors believe in. It's hard sometimes... I print them up with funny pictures and put them on my office wall so I see them every day, and that helps.

"If I change my mind, I can change the world."

And the ever-popular:

"I am unstoppable!"

wackyjackie said...

I can't believe you posted this because I just read an article at the gym that I was going to post about-about affirmations. I remember this day very clearly actually. I think affirmations are great and thanks for the kind words. i love you and hope to talk to you today !!

barry said...

Robin one hell of a post and as usual late at night when u gotta be tired. I use these affirmations in a little different way. I cannot believe that I can psyche myself up by affirmations.That has always seemed illogical to my left sided brain. However many of these affirmation involve the creative force of the universe so I send them out as a prayer. I do them after my morning papers as a way to ask the creator to fill the vaccum that I have created by flushing out my mind with that writing exercise.

Britt said...

You know, I used to think I was such a positive person. That I never thought negative things about myself. But then, I started doing Bikram yoga (the hot one!) where the room is 2309482094 degrees F and you kinda feel like dying. If you are too dizzy, hot, tired, unable to do the pose, you are allowed to lay on your mat in the rest pose. All I heard in my head the first week or so of Bikram was negative thoughts "you can't do this, just lay down, you can't do this" over and over. It was then I realized how many negative thoughts I probably have throughout the day and don't realize it. In Bikram I learned to overpower those negative thoughts with positive ones and did things I didn't know if I could do. Now whenever I get those negative thoughts, I think of Bikram yoga. :)

Jen said...

You have seen my daily pages of affirmations Robs- all typed out and neatly stored in my day timer so I can't miss them. I used to get rid of the bad stuff in the morning by doing Artist Way pages and then throwing them out (which I forgot to start AGAIN this morning ... thanks for reminding me)

barry said...

Good Lord Robin you are even shaping the notorious Jen up. Congrads! Now instead of being the hell raiser you are the drill sargeant!

Robin said...

I hope you will include this as one of your affirmations: your voice on the web has attracted dozens of new listeners, supporters and friends.

Another blogger I have begun reading lately is also reading TAW and is chronicling her progress on hr blog: http://richinteriorworld.blogspot.com/

robin ann mcintosh said...

lydia, thanks! I just checked it out, what a great site -

gwen, wayfaring, redstapler- definitely going to be using some of those, especially the "i'm unstoppable"! I love it : )

britt - girl, you have a crazy amount of interests, you never cease to amaze.

robin - thank you so much, I hope you use the same one yourself : ) I'm off to check out this new blogger, thanks for the link.

<3

love to you all!

Unknown said...

i was thinking about affirmations recently as well, because I was trying to use positive affirmations but occasionally when i did it required me to define something as negative as well. Not about myself but just in general. If I am good looking than someone else must not be. When that happened, I found it better to just say, It is what it is or I am what I am, and let it pass. Doesnt always get me out of the rut alot of it does.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was in an online group that went through TAW recently--I kind of lost my steam at the end, but it really did open me up creatively. Hope you have a similar experience.

I did make a list of affirmations, but I wasn't great about using them. I lost a bunch of TAW stuff from my blog a few weeks after we finished TAW and I decided to delete the blog--(ack! never do that! don't know what I was thinking), but when I decided to go back to blogging I was able to find some of it via Google (amazing thing, that), and my blurts are here. I wasn't great with the morning pages, either. I had loads of fun with the tasks though.

You have a great blog here -- I'll be back frequently!

Janeiro said...

Upon waking up after a night of drinking...I am such an idiot, I am a mess, I am miserable, I am a fraud, What if people knew the real me....

And my sober morning thoughts...I am so proud, I was a lot of fun last night, I am really good to my kids, my husband really has it good, I am going to have a great day.

I like the idea of writing down the negative blurts and displaying the pattern of my destructive inner beliefs. I will start that today...thanks!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Oh this post was so good for me to read right now. Usually I am a very spiritually centered person and I do believe your subconscious has to be reversed sometimes in order for true feelings about yourself to change. I'm working on new affirmations right now because I'm in sort of a negative mental state. I wasn't last week, but today....I was? and yesterday.
And my affirmations change depending on where I am in my life and what I need.

 
Hit CountersHit Counters